R10 .vs R15 DirecTV DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MrNovice, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MrNovice

MrNovice New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I purchased a R15 DirecTV TIVO receiver from Circuit City last weekend. Circuit City was out of the R10 and showed me that the R15 has 20 hours more of recording capability. I quickly learned that the R15 does not have the TIVO menu's and formatting. In some ways the R15 menu's are simpler and some ways they are more cumbersome. I have the option of returning the R15 and getting the R10. Anyone here have opinions between the two? Also, will DirecTV continue to release upgrades for the TIVO format units? Thanks.

2. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif
    Dump the R15 and get the R10.
    I was so disappointed in the R15 I went out and bought another R10.
    The R15 is a loser!
    I have 4 DVRs and the R10s are the best.

3. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    The R15 is a first generation product.
    Enough said.

Eventually, it's offspring might be good products.
    I'd always go with something reliable and mature.

H

4. Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    Pick the one you want, not the one someone tells you to keep.

Neither has a good menu system. It depends on whether you're averse to change or not.

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    TiVo is in no way associated with this device.

6. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Oh boy, another thread to bash a product that we're not supposed to even discuss.

I guess only it's ok to say negative things..

Don't get the R15, it'll download a virus to your TV and explode while you're away on vacation, setting your house on fire and causing you to loose all your season passes.

Get an R10 and enjoy all that it has to offer you. Like being manufacturing discontinued, product end of life and no more service upgrades.

But it's a TiVo so it must be good.

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    How is saying a product is "first generation" or "disappointing" considered bashing? "Loser" was a bit harsh, more explanation would be nice.

8. Deegs84

Deegs84 New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Is anyone else expereincing problems?

I just added the R-15 to my family room and moved my R-10 to the bed room as my wife really likes the GUI. I was quite surprised to find the R-15 less intuitive when compared to the R-10. Here are some of the problems I am having:

-I cannot see what is recording on the second tuner as I do on the R-10.
    -Jumping to Live TV is not listed in the maual or indicated on the remote.
    -Remote included in the box is different than the one described in the manual. My remote has a "format' button that doesn't appear to function and it does not have a forward advance button but rather a 'go to end' one instead.
    -Series Link does not funtion as stated in the Manual.
    -AutoTune is apparently not going to be available in the R-15 even though it appears in the manual.
    -Audio lags video when going to play from FF or REW.
    -cannot see and manage a season pass.
    -I cannot search by date and time as indicated in the manual.
    I purchased the R-10 because the Directv CSR stated to me that they would have a network upgrade available for the R-10 and the R-15 available by sumer '06 only to be told by a CSR today that that was probably not an option.

The Directv CSR was not even aware that all of these problems existed when she put me on hold. After waiting on hold for about 10 minutes she came back and stated the her R15 exhibited the same problems and that the manual had "misprints' and that some features listed would never be implemented.

I WILL be returning the R-15 and purchasing another R-10.

9. john-duncan-yoyo

john-duncan-yoyo New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    You forgot the Dogs and Cats living together. If you want an idea how much people dislike this lump of electronic offal read- <http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=65> The do NOT buy an R15 thread has lots of good reasons to go for an R10 or earlier.

Like DTV was providing upgrades as it was. :rolleyes: The R15 is still getting frequent upgrades which means they are still swatting bugs all over the place

As Koppel said Since the Good Lord saw fit to give us TiVO I have no reason to stay up to watch Nightline.

10. craigo

craigo Broncos Fan

Apr 6, 2004
    Mesa, AZ

We'll, you've heard the opinions. To answer your second question, no, D* will not release anymore upgrades for the Tivo DVR's. I'm sure many people would like them to, but since they have their own unit now, it just wouldn't benefit them to do so.

11. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    It was really all meant in jest.
    I just find it ironic that we were told to not discuss the DVR that shall not be named in this forum.

Except it appears it's fine to do so as long as the comments are negative, or at least not positive.

12. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Southern Yankee

Aug 29, 2000
    Pisgah...
    And besides you would miss coming here where the most visited thread is "XM, a big bag of suck". Hmmmmmmmmm :up:

13. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I guess I missed that new rule.

Is it possible you are mistaken? Notice how polite that was! I am trying tolerance of ... well ... sub-optimal intellectual performance, not easy for me.

Perhaps you are thinking about a specific, in depth R15 feature discussion thread that was moved out this Tivo forum, at the author's request?

Perhaps you're thinking about a TCF home page reference to an R15 feature discussion location that was removed upon Tivo's objection? That may have been pretty stupid, but not as stupid as your fantasy total ban would have been.

Of course it's possible, at any moment, that Tivo's ongoing inclination to shoot itself in the foot could escalate to make you, retroactively, correct.

14. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The "XM, a big bag of suck" title sounds like a very intelligently written and informative thread.
    :rolleyes:

15. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    ROFLMAO

16. cmtar

cmtar Long live the R15!!

Jan 26, 2005
    I have a R15 and I love it, im glad they dropped tivo. I took out my Dtivo right when I got home from BB. Long live the R15...die tivo die

17. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    R15 is a fine DVR among the non-tivo class of DVR's. It's great compared to Dish, Cable, etc.

But, TiVo is the best, and it is not a TiVo.

I'm not quite sure why people get all bent out of shape about people here saying this when it is TIVOCommunity.com, a forum for TiVo fanatics!!

18. john-duncan-yoyo

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    Too bad the 'device which can't be named' can't seem to record shows that peolple ask it to record. Reports have it missing both the finales of Survivor and the Amazing Race. It sounds like DTV han't figured out how to provide guide data reliably yet.

19. Dale Sorel

Dale Sorel Two Girls and a boy!

Dec 26, 2001
    On the...
    Uh, I thought DTV provided the guide data for our true blue TiVos :confused:

20. john-duncan-yoyo

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    The data apparently isn't in the format that device which can't be named likes. I'm guessing that there are two different guide streams and TiVO massages one to be compatible with a DTiVO.