R10 vs HDVR2

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tekone2k, Feb 16, 2006.

1. tekone2k

tekone2k New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I currently have Dish 921 HD DVR and hate it. I came from Directv over a year ago because I didn't want to spend the $800 or more for the 10-250. What a mistake. Anyway, my question is, now that the 10-250 is affordable ( I found it for $199 after rebate thru E-bay), they have an R10 for $30 additional but I have noticed that most of the posts state that the HDVR2 is the only unit that can be hacked. I own an HDVR2 (It was active over a year ago on my account). I was considering activating it thru a family member at their home address/phone number along with a new 10-250 Tivo. Does anyone know the pros and cons of doing this vs. getting a new R10 for the $30.

2. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    The R10 is the only(I think) series 2 that cannot be hacked. Not sure what you mean by activating thru a family member. If you want a networked Tivo, then don't ge the R10 unless you can replace chips on the board inside.

3. tekone2k

tekone2k New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I would be using the family member's address and phone number for activation purposes to get the new activation cost. I am capable of changing chips but because I own the HDVR2 I thought that I would save money and not have to mess with an R10. I just wanted to make sure that DTV would activate a previously owned unit under another persons name.

4. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Got ya. They would probably make you buy a new card for it. Usually $20.

5. tekone2k

tekone2k New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tonedeaf,

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I hear you correctly you would activate the HDVR2 and pay the $20 for the card vs. get a new R10 for $30 as it is not easily hacked and I assume that deactivating the R10 during the 1 year committment would violate the agreement and trigger a cancellation fee (or would it) I guess what I am asking is if the cancellation would not be a factor would the R10 be worth the extra $10 if I could take the card out of it and put it in the HDVR2.

Thanks

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    More than the HDVR2 can be hacked. All S2 D-TiVos except the R10 can be easily hacked.