R10 hd to new R10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by herefishy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. herefishy

herefishy New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    I got a R10 to replace my DVR40(defective tuner) and it came with software version 6.3e. I got another R10 that has the current software release on it. Can I take the HD from the old to the new R10, preserve the software release, and have my past recorded shows on the new R10?

Thanks,
    Bob(herefishy)

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Nope. When you boot the new R10 and try to view any recordings, you will get "Error 51". With an unhacked box, the only solution to that is Clear and Delete Everything. This will also reset all your season passes and other preferences.

The reason is that the recordings are encrypted with a key tied to a serial number on the old R10's motherboard.

3. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    wow, that is really lame. Guess i'm stuck with Comcast as a provider (been thinking of going back to DTV after missing them for so many years; but if their TiVo is that neutered/locked down--forget it)

4. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Julien, the same is true of standalone TiVos. If you move a disk from one to another, the same thing happens. All TiVos since the Series 1 are "that neutered/locked down".

5. jonapt

jonapt New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I'd be surprised if any of the tools discussed in the forum like Instantcake, Winmfs, jmfs or mfslive hack encryption, so presumably the hacking you are referring to is underground.

Losing recordings to a drive failure is a risk we all assume, but to know that any box failure can take them out too seems unnecessary as that is recoverable.

Tivo's repair service could re-serialize a MB, thereby allowing re-use of the drive with all the recordings, but have never seen mention anywhere that this is offered.

If not Tivo repair, then presumably the serial number is in a PROM soldered to the MB. Those desperate to recover would have to identify the PROM, unsolder it, and move it over to a working Tivo. Quite a barrier...

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    People have moved the PROMs. If you have the proper equipment and skill, it can be done.

The tools you reference are just for disk manipulation and restoration. The hacking I refer to is to add the ability to run your own scripts and programs and to disable encryption. The latter would have to be done before you recorded the shows - as far as I know there is no known way to remove the encryption from recordings made on a "Series 2" DTiVo.

The reason the encryption is there is to prevent someone from duplicating disks and distributing the content on them. Once you allow the ability to move a disk with recordings from one box to another, you open up unauthorized reproduction.

TiVo "repair" isn't going to do anything like swapping PROMs. They will replace assemblies such as the motherboard, but you are pretty much guaranteed to lose all recordings if you send a box in for repair.

7. Brepeargo

Brepeargo New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    United States
    HAPPY NEW YEAR all. Why for some is it all about money, there are much more important things in life such as health, love, and happiness. Apart from this bloody cough ive got all 3