R10 Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Wrongear, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1 of 15
    Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    My R10 is resetting every 3 minutes now & been acting up for the last few months. The green "power" lite goes off for a few seconds before the reset occurs. I've inspected the power supply caps; all look good. I'd like to replace the HD (Western Digital WD800BB-55JKAO) with a new unit sourced from eBay. Question; besides the 80 GB size, what other parameters are required to match? Will any WD800BB 80GB HD work? Is my power supply still in question?

Thanks

2. Dec 8, 2011 #2 of 15
    Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I removed the cover and then reconnected the unit. It resets before it can complete the power up. While in power up, I unplugged the HD & it is staying on but can't go past the yellow power up screen. I reinserted the power to the HD & then manual reset. Had to reset by unplugging the 120V cord. I'm now clearing & deleting everything.

3. Dec 8, 2011 #3 of 15
    Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    REsets during clearing. This could take an hour. . .

4. Dec 8, 2011 #4 of 15
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm still suspicious of your power supply, but you should download WD's diagnostic software and run the long test on that drive.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #5 of 15
    Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Which one??

Acronis True Image WD Edition
    Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS
    Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
    Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows
    Promise Ultra 100 TX2 Controller Card Driver
    IDE RAID Compatibility Upgrade - 3Ware Cards
    IDE RAID Compatibility Upgrade - Non-3Ware Cards
    Old Data Lifeguard Diagnostic

6. Dec 8, 2011 #6 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It would be one of the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic programs.

7. Dec 8, 2011 #7 of 15
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS

This goes on a bootable floppy disk

You may or may not have a floppy drive and you may or may not have any unused blank floppies. Feel free to skip it if you want.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)

You download this and burn it to a cd as an image.

It's what I've used the past couple of years.

You boot the computer from the cd, bypassing the computer's usual operating system (or you hook up a spare motherboard, keyboard, mouse, power supply, monitor and cd drive so that you can keep using your main computer for web surfing or playing Free Cell while the tests run)

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Should work as well as the cd, but ties up your main machine.

If you're running a Mac, then the cd is probably your only choice, provided it's an Intel Mac, but I've never used any Apple stuff, so no guarantee.

The Old Data Lifeguard Diagnostic is really for models older than your TiVo's drive.

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 15
    Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Got it! I removed the HD & installed it into my desk top as a slave. then I used the WG program & found bad cells in both the fast check and the long check. I zeroed out the HD & tried again. Better but no cigar. I zero-ed again & both checks reported good. re-installed the HD into the unit, powered up & got a yellow screen "Welcome" then to a white blank nothing. Power has not blinked yet.

So now I think I must reinstall some basic program to get going. Any suggestions?

Thanks

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 15
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, you need to go to the image begging thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388695

because you just wiped all the software off of your hard drive.

Alternatively, check Craigslist and/or eBay for a cheap used same model and use the drive out of that, saving the rest for spare parts, 'cause I'm thinking you shouldn't be trusting that drive too much.

Or you can image beg and check out the adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

to see about putting a bigger drive in that puppy.

10. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    I have an R10 sitting on my living room floor getting ready to go to the electronics recycling place. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. It has a 500gb drive in it. It was working when I de-activated it last year. Just been taking up space in the entertainment center since.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Considering that a 500GB drive currently sells for more than what you'll pay to get that R10 mailed, you should jump on Rainy Dave's offer, and first thing you do when you get it is use the MFS Live cd v1.4 AND WinMFS to make backup images (neither can use each other's backups, so make both) and use Dropbox or SendSpace or somebody to host them for others as a way to pay it forward.

12. Wrongear

Wrongear New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Dave, I will take you up on your offer of the R10 if your still game. I can send you a paypal for the shipping cost. You can email me at egert22@yahoo.com. I tried to send you a private message, but since I don't have enough posts, the system will not allow it.

Very nice of you; thanks. Yes, I will pay it forward.

Dave

13. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Rainy Dave,

Is there any chance, you can sell me the R-10, you're offering in this thread here?

I've been looking for a replacement Series 2 Directivo, since my HDVR2 filled up, a short while ago. I really can't spend a whole lot of money on one, and the one that you're offering, would really help me out.

I would appreciate it, if you would consider helping me out.

I can PM you about this, if you'd like.

Thanks,

Joe Q

14. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Oh Well,

Guess I just missed out, on the R-10 that Rainy Dave was just offering. :(

Any chance, anyone else, might have a used Series 2 DirecTivo (with possibly an upgraded hard drive), that they're not using anymore.

I really could use one.

Joe Q

15. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    Wrongear - Just sent you an email.

Joe_Q - Sorry you missed it.