R10/Accidentally deleted "Earl" .. Recycle Bin ???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Stew24, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Stew24

Stew24 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Hey, I just accidentally deleted the "Christmas Lie" episode of My Name Is Earl ... Funniest sitcom in many years. Anyways, ... Please tell me there is a secret code to accessing accidentally deleted files? I just cannot see how the designers of this well thought out DVR could overlook the fact that people are inevitably going to accidentally delete shows ... and want them back. There should be a "Recycle Bin" ... giving you a second chance before final deletion ... just like in MS Windows. .. Any hope ?

Daryl

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Sorry... nope... Unless you have installed some hacks and gotten TivoWeb installed....

3. Stew24

Stew24 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    .. Well, has there been "Hell to pay" thrown at Directv and Tivo for not having such an obvious option available ????/ This is beyond unbelievable !

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    well you do have to CHOOSE to delete a show.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nah... I would have to say that in the 5ish years that Tivo has been around, there really hasn't been that much said about it...

They do make you confirm the delete...

I guess the "TiVo" isn't perfect afterall....

6. CherryBmb

CherryBmb New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Unbelievable is hitting delete twice and calling it accidental. They can only go so far towards making it idiot proof.

7. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Sure, a recycle bin would be nice, but it would be just about impossible to manage as ther eis just not that much extra space, relatively speaking. IF it held it in reserve until you emptied the bin, the thing woudl fill up in no time flat. If it deleted them as it needed space, it would do it very quickly as blocks got overwritten and the show you deleted might be gone 5 seconds later while another show deleted weeks ago might be there still. All that would do is cause more angry users.

8. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Wouldn't Windows simply complain the files was too big for the recycle bin anyway and force you to delete permenantly?

9. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I would have thought that a message saying "Are you sure you want to delete this program" or similar would be enough for most!

How can you blame D* for your mistake?

10. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    why not just hack your tivo and add tivoweb+?

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    because he has an R10

12. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I don't know how I know this *ahem*, but there are websites you can go to and download episodes of shows you've missed. I'm not sure they are legal, but if you are familiar with BitTorrent, I'm sure that Google will be of use here. ;)

nudge, nudge, ;) ;)

13. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    on the few occasions I've deleted episodes I didn't intend to, I blame myself, not tivo or D*. Strange, I know.

14. catric69

catric69 New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    You are a man. You are not suppose to admit it! :rolleyes:

15. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Tivo should prompt: Are you really, really, really sure you want to delete this program?

16. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Undelete via TivoWeb is great... it's one of the reasons I don't auto-record suggestions - it keeps anything you delete gone in a hurry.

17. Mori

Mori TIVO Lover

Dec 21, 2005
    Its funny because I had someone ask me about this very same thing last night. unfortunately it is not available with dtv reciever without mods.

18. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Yea, I too am always sure I want to delete but later that day or the next day a family member says "Do you still have <show> on your box? I'd like to watch it." So, I go do the undelete thang via TivoWeb+ and then they watch it on whatever box they want (I have MRV running).

19. jDot

jDot New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Phoenix AZ
    It's probably too late but I found this (at dbsforums):

I haven't tried it myself, it may not work, YMMV, etc...

Link:http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=46902

20. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Just wait for a re-run of the episode.