1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P Tivo, The product revision that killed the Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by avaddict, Jun 12, 2018.

Is the New Tivo Experience so bad that it should be abandoned?

1. Yes, the new tivo experience is far less than the original tivo experience (and should be abandoned)

30.3%
  2. No, the new tivo experience is better in every way than the original tivo experience

25.2%
  3. Not yet, new tivo experience has minor defects & problems but there are some things to like about it

44.5%
  1. avaddict

avaddict Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I want to elicit feedback from the more active Tivo users here in the Tivo community. How do you feel about the New Tivo Experience? As a User since the Series 2 days (~2004), I am losing confidence in the Tivo product due to Rovi's inability to keep it on track from an engineering quality perspective. I am also concerned about the New Tivo Experience and how it impacts the User's experience as compared to the previous UI that we all like and appreciated for its speed and efficiency.

BTW, I still see on the Roamio product a bug where if I am watching a previously recorded 6-7 pm program, and I am watching the recording of about 20 minutes delayed, when 7 PM arrives, the head of the buffer is at 7:20 PM. The video cursor is not supposed to jump to 7:20!

Why do the engineers and product managers at Rovi not know how this is supposed to work?

It should play from 6:59:59 and continue to 7:00:00 and then 7:00:01, and so on. The Roamio still has this bug and it's June 12, 2018.

Moving on...

The company previously known as Rovi refers to the new tivo experience in their small print like it is an absolute requirement and part of their contract with the User. That's strange. I saw this in the small print of the Father's Day promotion where they are giving away the hardware for free and expecting revenue to come from a monthly subscription with two year commitment.

Is the Tivo product no longer worthy of a life-time commitment from a customer?

I have needed to purchase another DVR for over 18 months and still putting off my purchase due to Rovi's missteps with the formerly great Tivo product.

I have not purchased a new Tivo for two reasons:
    1) Fear of the new UI (is it called Hyrda?) reducing the quality of the User experience.
    2) A lack of good promotions to incentivize me to purchase.

If y'all do not mind, can my fellow peers (who have done the legwork and product research) share what alternatives exist today to replace Tivo (in this thread)?

After this multi-year window of missteps that Rovi has recorded in history, by botching the Tivo acquisition and subsequent management of the Tivo product, perhaps a worthy competitor is just around the corner? Is the comcast DVR worth a look?

Thank you!

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Wait, did TiVo go out of business?? $h!t, I hadn't heard. I better get a Xfinity box today!

3. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    THERE'S this week's poll!

aristoBrat and mrsean like this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You mean this week's "I hate Hydra" thread.

jrtroo, PCurry57, aristoBrat and 6 others like this.
  5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. B-)

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    A "TiVo is dead" and a poll is a two-fur!

7. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I give them a couple of posts and then it's straight to the ignore list. If they post numerous times (even create numerous threads) it's a waste of time... if you repeat yourself endlessly and are overly dramatic you can't be taken seriously.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Anotherpyr likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, were that it but once a week...

mrsean likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    [sar] oh gee another RIP Hydra thread with a poll, what will we ever do without our weekly new poll on exactly the same thing as last week [/sar]

11. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The new experience must be growing on him. In the previous poll, Tivo was dead to him. Now - he's just losing confidence. Sounds like a new experience convert in the making. :)

Oh wait -- hasn't actually tried it yet ...

aaronwt and krkaufman like this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, to be fair, that previous poll/thread was directed at the update to TE3 that normalized the look-and-feel across all applicable devices. Perhaps the sentiment expressed in the previous thread...
    ... was suspended awaiting the TE4 "New Experience."

That said, if the objective expressed in the opening paragraph, above, is true...
    ... the titling of the thread is going to distort the feedback received, given the saner denizens of TCF, and those who are OK with Hydra, would scroll past yet another "down with Hydra" thread. (Putting aside the fact that people who are OK with their Hydra'ted TiVo box are less likely to be frequenting this forum.)

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    ZZZZZZZ

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There weren't enough choices in the poll so I had to choose the second one. But I believe Hydra is better in almost every way. But certainly not in every way.

aristoBrat likes this.
  15. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I like Hydra better in several ways. Certainly I like that upcoming recordings display right under the individual wishlists. It is a big improvement and saves button pushes.m
    Moving around the horizontal and vertical menus is not that bad.. in fact sometimes it's good!
    The four arrow presses in the live TV screen are terrific, although I wish the live guide was in ascending order and the channel and Skip ahead keys moved ahead one screen and one day respectively. Perhaps that will come, along with other things that are missing ... such as the guide sorted by channel name, transfer of recordings., etc.
    I recently downgraded to Encore and realized that I like Hydra better and brought it back.
    Let's look forward to the new changes that TiVo will make sometime in the current quarter when they release new software again

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    From over 7 months ago
    Did you lie?

blackngold75, jrtroo and kpeters59 like this.
  17. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I chose option 3, but there are two critical issues that need to be dealt with before I consider switching my primary device to Hydra:

1) The lack of Live Guide *and the associated Record by Channel' manual recording option. These allow one to work around issues with the Program Guide without needing to take notes offline.

2) The second is the horrible interface for showing the current site of the tuner. Here are my notes from an evaluation at the beginning of Hydra (and the current state is the same):
    It is impossible to see a full state summary for 6 tuners (recording status, channel, program) at the same time. In fact the current method only gives the full information for one tuner and almost information-free icons for the at most 3 other tuners.

18. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    A stark visual upgrade. Usability is awkward and inefficient. Missing transfers is deal-breaking.

I trust Ted when he says they're increasing their efforts on usability (now that the platform is generally stable and reliable.)

I still think it's going to take another year until the platform is "polished". I said this 7 months ago but v1.1 took an awfully long time to come out and didn't change much for the long time we waited.

19. JoelH1965

JoelH1965 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I wish they'd fix the multiple button pushes where I didn't have to do before and bring back Live Guide but I can live with it.

As far as Tivo being dead I'd say not yet. Don't get me wrong I love Tivo and I've been a customer since 2004 and on about my 6th box but if my Tivo died today and I had to replace it, I might (probably) replace it with an Xfinity X1 box. I have one in the kitchen as part of my package and it is light years past old cable dvr's. And the voice recognition works perfectly unlike Tivo's work in progress.

A couple of months ago I touched my tv and zapped it. My Tivo hdmi output didn't work for a while but after restarts a plenty it came back. To replace it with a lifetime pass would have cost me almost $1000. An X1 box would be about $10 a month and if it breaks I swap it at the Comcast office.

Tivo has been great and created this DVR thing, but I think the Comcast's of the world have moved at least up to Tivo and perhaps beyond. I don't see it lasting well into the future. Just my opinion.

mschnebly likes this.
  20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    @avaddict

You couldn't find any answers in the hundred other Hydra threads that already exist? There are also many thread about Tivo alternatives, well researched by experts for your convenience.

You declare in your title that Hydra killed Tivo, yet you've never actually used it? How did you reach that conclusion? I thought Rovi would have killed Tivo, but they're still kickin'. I guess Tivo is more resilient than we thought. They've apparently been able to survive a guide data apocalypse and a GUI update.

I'd really love to rehash all of the above to save you the trouble of doing a little searching, but I'm really lacking motivation for some reason.

kpeters59 and ClearToLand like this.