R.I.P. HME

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by wmcbrine, Aug 22, 2017.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, it looks like this is it for HME going forward. Not that they didn't give up on it long ago, but as of the latest TiVo software release, 20.7.2, there seems to be no way to even run an HME app.

I'll keep my Reversi server running for at least the next year (it's pre-paid), for the benefit of anyone with an older model TiVo that doesn't get "upgraded" to HME-less software. After that, I'll see what the demand is. I won't be able to play it anymore myself, except in the simulator. (Actually, my Minis haven't been updated yet. But I assume the same will happen there.)

HME for Python will receive no further updates. (I'd already pretty much given up on HME/VLC, for other reasons.)

2. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Stupidly, "Add an App" still appears on the Roamio under 20.7.2, but it doesn't seem to work (gives an error message). My existing Reversi entry disappeared from the Roamio when I rebooted it to 20.7.2.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Now you just have to port your games over to HTML5 and put them on the Opera store. :)

4. davidblackledge

davidblackledge Registered lÜser

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    Yep. I guess it's a relief in a way, but frustrating in others.

I'll continue to very slowly pursue Opera TV (I have a preliminary working port of my Archive On Demand video app)... but I may end up spending my free time playing TF2 until I retire and have some more time to invest.

5. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Too bad the Tivo from my cable company doesn't allow the Opera Store. We had it for 2 weeks but then it was blocked.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Pouring a little out here for HME ... :oops:

Good times ...

davidblackledge likes this.
  7. davidblackledge

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    Whoops... we're not getting off that easy.

While "other" and uncategorized entries disappeared, "music" and "photos" entries still show up in the new gigantic apps list if you wait for them to load (they did on my post-update Roamio+)

So just change your Reversi TiVoConnect file to give your game such a category and it'll show up again.
    E.g. right between the "details" and "links" tags add:
    <Genres>
    <Genre>photos</Genre>
    <Genre>other</Genre>
    </Genres>

(throwing in "other" genre in case they change it back)
    Soon, or at least this weekend, I'll move at least my main apps on enterwebz.tv there.

I don't know if that will help the error message for "add an app," but at least existing users should be OK.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As I posted in streambaby thread it is still possible to launch HME apps via RPC. So HME apps still run, TiVo just broke launching them.

Also, for series 4 units HME still works with SDUI, so switching to SDUI temporarily is possible for launching HME apps.

But yeah, it's becoming so inconvenient to launch HME apps now it's not worth the trouble.

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    IMG_1046.JPG
    It looks like to started to work agai today.

davidblackledge likes this.
  10. davidblackledge

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    Oooh nice screenshot ;]

Buuuuut... you'll notice it's only "photos" and "music" genre listings (and the "edit" app which I listed under all genres). The "video" and "other" genre listings are getting left out. I'll recategorize WordSmythe, Archive On Demand, etc. as "photos" this weekend so they'll show up again, too.

bradleys likes this.
  11. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Does this information help in any way to get local HME apps back on the apps list? I can't find anything like a TiVoConnect file.

12. davidblackledge

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    Unfortunately, no, Genres are only a feature of Add-an-app servers, not local-network announced apps.

In fact, depending on how TiVo implemented it, it's even possible that is WHY they're not showing up - perhaps local apps are assumed as "other" genre by default on the TiVo, and the TiVo apps list is restricting listings to "music" and "photos" only. But don't take my word for it, I haven't looked at local apps in a while and I'm just throwing out a theory.

13. eohrnberger

eohrnberger Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Hmm. With HME killed with this update, I guess that would also kill pyTiVio too, wouldn't it?

Reason I'm asking is that I've been a Galleon user for years (decades?) and that won't work. Does pyTiVo use another type of interface? Does it have similar capabilities to Galleon?

14. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No, pyTivo is HMO rather than HME.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Same with Galleon (formerly known as JavaHMO) ... that was HMO. Can't believe someone is still running that! Even I gave up on it a long time ago. ;)

16. eohrnberger

eohrnberger Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Hey. It did what I wanted / needed, and it worked pretty well.

If Galleon and pyTiVo are both using the HMO interface, and the update killed Galleon, then the same update would have killed pyTiVo then.

If Galleon is using HME, and pyTiVo is using HMO, and only HME is been killed with the update, then it's worth trying pyTiVo to re-gain the lost capabilities, isn't it?

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm pretty sure Galleon wasn't using HME (I worked on it for a while when jtkohl revived it after Leon abandoned it) but it could be not working for other reasons.

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Looks like John Kohl updated the Sourceforge page with the following:

"Galleon is a home media server using TiVo's discontinued HME protocol. It only works on TiVo versions earlier than 20.7.2."

Scott

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    pyTivo isn't broken so yes you should give it a try. :)

Scott

20. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Huh, I stand corrected. It's been a long time, my last contribution to Galleon was March 2013 to fix the expired cookie problem. I guess JavaHMO was the HMO version and Galleon was the HME version. Either way, RIP. :(