R-10 Fan replacement

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by texas arsenal, Jan 25, 2006.

1. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    Anyone ever replace a fan on the R-10? From the pics here
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=210960

it just looks like it plugs into a circuit board. Is this true? I need to replace a fan but I dont want to do any soldering.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, TiVo fans are plug and play.

3. texas arsenal

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    Cool, thanks

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  5. texas arsenal

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    I ordered from there earlier today.

The fan on my first R-10 has never worked. It always runs about 55-57C. I installed a new R-10 in a tighter cabinet and first of all I can hear the fan and secondly it stays about 33C. So I figure I will replace the fan in the older unit and hoepfully extend its life.

6. texas arsenal

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    I got the fan yesterday. Weaknees is great. Very easy install, 5 screws to remove the cover and 4 torx screws to remove the fan. The fan even included the torx bit needed. I changed the fan out no prob, hooked everything back up and I could hear the fan running for the first time since Ive had the unit (11 mos). The temp is running about 20C cooler now. The only problem was during powering the unit back up the # 1 tuner wasnt working and therefore not acquiring the sat info. I tried everything (switch cables, reset, etc) with still no luck. I finally called tech support and we did some trouble shooting and determined indeed the 1 tuner was out and the unit would need to be replaced. I was pissed, I thought I should have just left the unit alone. Before I ordered a new one I thought I would take the cover off again and look to see if something came loose or disconnected. What I saw was a small metal shaving (1/8" x 1/4") that looked like it came from one of the screw holes and it was laying directly across what looks like a "diode" coming in from the sat 1 input. It was shorting the "diode" to the metal case and I guess not allowing it to receive the sat signal. So I gently removed that and the unit now works fine and cooler.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Congratulations!