Quote Marks

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by doctor.steve, Jan 4, 2006.

1. doctor.steve

doctor.steve Member

Jan 17, 2003
    South Yorkshire

Advertisements

Minor issue, has anyone else seen this (or am I alone!)

On shows with quotation marks in the episode description the opening quote appears as a different character to the closing one.

Example (Hope this shows up...)
    Description for 30 Days:
    Two 30-something urban professionals with a self-confessed reliance on modern technology `go back to the future' in a bid to lead a simpler life.

Another example is the expisode of Lost thats showing tonight (Wed 4th Jan)

2. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    You're right! :up:

In TivoWeb, it looks like the opening character is a single quote, whereas the closing character is an apostrophe.

3. doctor.steve

doctor.steve Member

Jan 17, 2003
    South Yorkshire
    So, I think I know what the problem maybe.
    Smartquotes used in Microsoft Word. This option is turned on by default (makes your quote marks around things look like opening and closing ones).

Once the data is passed into another system that doesn't get the hex code for a closing quote it just converts it to the nearest (which I'm guessing is the apostrophe).

If this is true, there are probably other suspect characters too...
    Ermm, I'll stop now as I appreciate you could find this dull as... ;)

4. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I have noted that Series2 units have both directional quotes in their fonts but the Series1 does not have them. Most notable in TiVo-provided menu items where the mark is instead the rectangular "missing character" glyph (most often noted in contractions). It's up there right now inside the "ING Direct" star menu item in the contraction "we'll".