QuickMode -- A Review

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pkb, Dec 22, 2015.

1. pkb

pkb New Member

Sep 2, 2013

Advertisements

If you are like me, you record a lot of stuff for later viewing. That’s why you bought a TIVO, right? But time is of the essence. While playback is great, it is just as slow as watching in real time (but you can skip the commercials, if you remember to do so).

Enter QuickMode, available on all Roamio and BOLT TIVO models. Rather than pressing Fast Forward once and watching recordings at a still reasonable pace, but with no sound at all, Quickmode allows you to watch at 1.3 times faster than realtime, AND you get sound.

Ah yes, the sound. Voices seem pretty normal, just a bit faster. It is NOT noticeably uncomfortable. Music, on the other hand, is not only played at a faster rate, but sometimes it sounds like tinny music from some 70’s film series (if the recording is a drama or comedy), and a bit ‘off’. Sports, on the other hand (with very little background music) is wonderfully watchable.

I have noticed that if I implement QuickMode, I have to increase the volume, because it is quieter. This is not a deal breaker.

What I like is that it allows you to zip through recordings without missing any content (although you do have to pay a little more attention, a skill today’s kids mostly lack). For instance, last year I recorded all of the episodes of the Simpsons for later playback (and I am still playing them back!) but now I can watch 3 episodes in one hour with QuickMode, if I skip the commercials too.

Overall, I love it!!

Three Thumbs UP!!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks for the review.

3. kylen

kylen Member

Oct 5, 2002
    If I switch the audio to PCM instead of DD the volume is consistent with or without QuickMode. I wish there was a way to have QuickMode enabled on by default when starting to play back a recording.

4. DawnW

DawnW Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    NC
    I have been using it for 2 days. Overall, it is great, particularly for dramas that tend to move slower anyway. For some shows, like sitcoms, that move a little faster, it can be like the characters have definitely had too much espresso.

You know, it seems like the music is still loud and the talking has gotten quieter. I tried to watch an episode of CSI and there is far more music in the background than I realized, but it is more pronounced in SkipMode.

Thanks for the write up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  5. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

I used it again recently. On 48 hrs. I had seen the show already but was interesting enough I decided to watch it again. Wasn't in the mood to watching anything else and was only half paying attention as I still remembered much of the story. And it worked alright for that.

Still I'm of the mind that if you really are watching something you want to watch then you're not using QuickMode. And if I am not watching something I really want to watch then I am skipping ahead or deleting it and watching something else.

6. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    QuickMode speeds up playback 30% and auto corrects the Audio at the same time otherwise everyone would sound like Alvin with a squeaky high voice. I use it a lot. You get used to it. Some things are better to use with it then others. With this and skipping commercials, you can watch a lot more content in less time. I'm sure it's real useful for award shows.