Quick "Standby" mode?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mr. Doug, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Mr. Doug

Mr. Doug New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Shaker...

Advertisements

Hey Gang....First Post!

I just got a Series 3 today, upgrading from a ReplayTV and Cable DVR. I figured one box would be nicer than 2. Anyways...my question. Cable-Cards are awesome!

Is there a FAST way to put this thing into "Standby" mode? I know I don't have to, but I have a home theatre setup, and I'd rather leave the amp on, and turn the Tivo off.

Can I program a certain key on the remote to do it? Is there a key I can hold down for 10sec or something?

Let me know guys...great forum!

2. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    There is a remote control code to put the unit into standby, but I don't know of a way to program it into the TiVo remote without having another remote that can send the command (I can send the command with my Harmony, and I'm sure that some more-inexpensive universal remotes like those from UEI might be able to do it.)

Since it's a Series 3, if you could borrow a remote that already had the command you should be able to make your TiVo remote learn it.

3. Mr. Doug

Mr. Doug New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Shaker...
    My In-Laws have an old Series 2 that they don't use anymore. I guess I could borrow that one...right?

4. flyersfan

flyersfan New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    eastern PA
    Why not just mute the amp? That way you can still see the clock and the names of any non-suggestion recordings.

5. Audiodynamics

Audiodynamics New Member

Jan 11, 2007

Advertisements

If you purchase a remote made by Universal Remote, the discreet Standby codes are in their database. They actually have discreet Standby codes for several TiVo addresses. With that and a simple macro, you can instantly put multiple TiVos into Standby simultaneously. So buy more TiVos and a Universal Brand Remote and have fun. Just Kidding!

The problem still remains that unless you have a programmed remote in hand that can blast the IR Standby code at your S3 remote to train one of the buttons, your out of luck.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only S2 remotes which had a Stand By button were the original AT&T units released way back. After that the Stand By button was replaced by the useless and never used PIP/Window button. (on the S3 that button is now used for Aspect) So unless your parents have one of those then your out of luck.

Your best bet is just to pick up a good universal remote.

Dan

7. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Logitech has this preprogrammed if you select a generic tivo - which is annoying because as soon as you program to an hd or series 3 it gets lost.

Weird.

Does anyone know how to add back the standby function to the harmony remotes?

gah asked and answered http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=324728

8. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Ah.. a common TiVo newbie question.

TiVos are designed to run 24/7. The older models had a standby mode but since the hard drive was still spinning, all it did was turn off the green light in the front and require you to hit the button again when you wanted to watch something.

If you want to leave your amp on and not hear the audio of whatever's on TV, just hit the mute button.

9. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Have you forgotten the other benefit of Standby? That is, your Tivo won't stop recording and change channel whenever the Emergency Alert System is activated?

( I think there may be one or two other MINOR benefits to Standby.)

10. DrBunsen

DrBunsen New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Fate, TX USA
    The reason why I occasionally use standby is because it immediately reactivates the Parental Controls, so that the kiddies do go to programming that I don't want them to.

Bunsen

11. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    both of those are valid points, additionally i don't want LED's off all the time, but i do want them off when i am trying to go to sleep. The unit still receives powertoggle from the harmony, just have to set it as a series 2. Also, faster MRV - which with a TivoHD anything additional is welcome.