Quick Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tylor Dettore, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hey, I have a S3 that I pulled from the trash that has a lifetime subscription and I guess TiVo will let you transfer subscriptions. My question is, can I transfer the subscription from the S3 to my Bolt? If not its no big deal. I like the S3 but I would like more tuners and the ability to use modern services.

2. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    You'll have to wait for one of their special sales. Meanwhile, be sure you periodically keep that S3 connected to the Internet.

3. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I will. I'm using it as a DVR and a clock :). Might do a hard drive upgrade

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Also, probably goes without saying but just making sure, that S3 is on your account now, correct? If not, you might want to start that process.

5. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    It is not. I don't know how to add it

6. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Correction. I tried to activate it on my tivo account with no avail. Under settings I can see it has a lifetime sub. It's being used now in my room for ota. I pulled the tivo from the trash

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'll let others who have gone through the process provide further information, but others have been able to speak with TiVo and have a Lifetimed box transferred to their own account without the involvement of the previous box owner.

Good dumpster-diving there, by the way! :clapping:

8. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Here is what I did when I picked up 2 Premiere's at goodwill with lifetime
    Necessary to transfer used lifetime Premiere to my account?
    Bought TiVo with lifetime at Goodwill, can't get in activated on my account
    https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...hat-delight-you.478144/page-458#post-11699341

9. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Thanks guys. Now heres my next question, the S3 works and works great. But will tivo still move it? The S3 is fairly old and I tried to activate it under my account and wouldn't let me bc it was too old. Would this be an issue? Also, how often does tivo allow transfer of service? From a one lifetime unit to another.

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I would think that TiVo would transfer the box, via a telephone call to customer support--it's still a fully-active model without restrictions, as far as I am aware. I would mention that you picked it up used, not knowing who the original owner was.

TiVo Lifetime transfer promotions are sporadic events--in the past few years, maybe 1 (or 2) times a year, and without notice that the promotion is going to occur or any guarantee that it ever will. The most recent promotions have been for the purchase of a new Bolt box directly from TiVo and then the transfer of Lifetime from an older box (the most recent promotion including the Roamio boxes in this) to the new box for $99--the old box then loses the Lifetime subscription (although TiVo sometimes has forgotten to deactivate an older box, especially in an earlier promotion). There has been a time eligibility requirement for this--the old box needs to be an "active" one, having connected to the TiVo mothership within a past period of time (1 year or 2?)--a good reason to have older, Liftetimed boxes connect up to TiVo periodically.

11. Tylor Dettore

Tylor Dettore New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I'll keep an eye out. I just wrote an email to TiVo complaining about my Bolt. Maybe they can do something. I also expressed my concerns on preroll ads and how itll be the death of TiVo

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    These promotions avidly are noted and discussed here. :)

unclehonkey likes this.