Quick question re the Wireless G adapter + Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Papageno, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a TiVo Premiere (going for the $468 box + lifetime bundle from tivo.com) but I just want to confirm that my current Wireless G adapter is going to work with the new unit--they haven't changed it any from just a few years ago, have they?

2. rbeauch

rbeauch New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    The Wireless G adapter will work just fine. I've used it with the Premiere.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only the Tivo Wireless G adapter works on the Premiere. Or you can use an ethernet cable.

4. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Sorry, I should have specified, it is a Tivo brand wireless G adapter. Thanks for the replies.

So apart from making transfers go quicker, does the Wireless N do much (of course I know one has to have a wireless N router).

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

The wireless N adapter works great on the TP/TPZL I get MRV speeds up to 80Mbs, and TiVo is having a sale on the N adapter at $60/each or two for $110.
    You do not need a 5Ghz router to use this adapter because it will work with any system a/b/n. You can turn any router into a 5Ghx N by purchasing two of the TiVo N adapters and connect one to your router the other to your TP/TPXL as each N adapter has a switch so they can be used a bridge/access point or in client mode when connected to the TiVo.

6. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    That's an interesting feature of the N adapter. Of course, I assume the one attached to the router only provides wireless n functionality to the TiVo on the other end, or does it provide n for other devices as well? Pardon my ignorance. Also, my DSL is currently limited to 3 Mbps (even though officially the tier I pay for can go to 7, grrr--Qwest, are you listening?), so, while in-house data transfers would go quicker, I wonder how often I'd be doing that, and it certainly wouldn't affect internet streaming much.