Quick question on Moca - and POE filters -- how many, where to position?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, Feb 25, 2016.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006

Advertisements

I would like to establish a Moca network in a house with service from Time Warner Cable.

I do not know where the point of entry is. Is there an easy way for me to figure that out?

Or, is it better for me to simply put a POE filter in every room which has a hot Moca connection? There are lots of RF jacks in the wall, but I will only be using Moca in a few of them.

Thanks

TC

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The filter blocks Moca, so don't put one in any room where you want to actually watch TV. If you can't find the point of entry, don't install any filters. Call TWC and tell them to find it and install a filter if they don't want your Moca signals going back up into their lines.

Usually on a house it's obvious where the cable from the street enters the house. There will almost certainly be some sort of cable company owned enclosure on the outside of the house or in a utility area like a garage or basement.

3. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    No, you cannot put MoCA filters internally. This will shut down the MoCA transmission. You need one at the point where cable drop first comes into the house. This keeps your MoCA signal confined to your internal network.

If necessary, the cable co. will have to identify the point of entry, but it should be the box outside your house where the cable comes in. TWC may have this locked? If so they must unlock and install the POE filter

Peter G

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Assuming you are using MoCA with more than one Tivo device and possibly other networking needs, if you are using a TA(Tuning Adapter) you will need a filter for that location, the input to the TA along with a 2 way splitter to feed the TA and Tivo. Also if your cable modem is does not have a builtin MoCA filter(like the Arris/Motorola 6xxx series), you might need one for that location also.