Quick question from an old newbie

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AnimusF6, Jun 28, 2011.

1. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    I've been away from the TiVo family for five years now (I can't believe that I remembered my username here!) but, after a recent move and switch to Cox I have decided that it is time to come back into the fold. I simply could not abide by a UI that actively discouraged me from watching TV, and that is all Cox is willing (or able) to provide.

I have ordered a Premiere; that much is set in stone. I have a few questions, and while some of them have been answered (no, the entire UI has not yet been high-definitioned) others remain unanswered in the year-old reviews I've found. I'm hoping this friendly (and missed) community might be able to help me out.

1. Has a software update been released that taps into the second processor core yet?

2. Are the delays between menus that plagued reviews a year ago still a common occurence?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm glad to be coming back into the TiVo fold and am looking forward to my new Premiere. Any tips or tricks for a "newbie" that you are worth sharing?

2. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    1. The second core has not be enabled, AFAIK.

2. The slowness/delays are better than they were a year ago. But, the delays are somewhat dependent upon network speed, connection reliability, etc. Each persons experience seems to be different. I use the HDUI. It is too slow, IMO. YMMV.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    1. The second core may never be enabled - there's some kind of limitation with Flash. It's not something to count on, but it might someday happen.

2. The slowdowns and lag are not as bad as they were. I use the HD menus on both my Tivo Premiere and my Premiere XL, and have been satisfied with their performance. Agreed that issues tend to center around network or other connectivity issues, but have been somewhat reduced since the last software update in my opinion. Wired connections are best, but I do use a wireless-N adapter and have had no issues. If you're expecting instant-snap-quick response, no, it's not there yet - but for the average user I would say it's fine.

4. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I had a Directv series 2 Tivo some time ago. Loved it, but no HD and time pasted it by. Moved to NY state, went with FIOS in the new house and installed their sucky DVR. All kinds of problems with green screens, no video but sound. Bought a Premiere XL to replace the POS DVR. The Premiere is much better than the FIOS unit, but not as debugged as the old Series 2. Scrolling from the top of the recorded shows to the bottom (using HDVI) is painful. That's about the worst of the HDVI of me. Overall, it's not bad now that there doesn't seem to be spinning green circle lockups since the latest updates and I would never go back to the FIOS DVR. If you don't mind the weak Netflix interface, and maybe a few other rough work in progress weaknesses, you will like the box. I'm using a wired home network, several wired switches to tie all the stereo stuff together with CAT5/6 wiring plus have a fast internet connection because of FIOS. Still using their supplied WiFi G router since it has a coax input from the main FIOS box and the Premiere (10/100) won't benefit from a gigabit network.

Go with a large HDD Tivo or swap in a new HDD before you have a full drive and run out of room. We do a lot of season pass recordings and often don't have time to watch shows for a week or two. HD shows can fill a large HDD quickly.

5. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Thanks for the answers and the advice, guys. I appreciate it. My Premiere arrived yesterday and Cox is installing an m-card (and tuning adapter, which I didn't expect to need) as we speak. I'm excited to dive back in to TiVo tonight after work!