Quick question about directv tivo and new customers

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by snoop, Aug 11, 2015.

1. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002

Advertisements

My 81 year old dad is about to hit the problem where comcast is going to change from mpeg2 to mpeg4 and render his series 3 tivo useless. I was going to bump him to a roamio but he doesn't have and doesn't want internet service.

So I thought I might get him into a directv tivo unit. He's had tivo almost since day one (about 18 years) and doesn't want to learn a new UI. I tried him with my genie and he was "completely lost".

The big question is are they still actively selling these and are they freebies with new customers like the genie is, or is it pay out of pocket? I'm going to call them this week to see what the deal is, but I thought I'd get a customer perspective first.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, they are still offering the THR22. As far as I know, they're not offered as freebies - $199 (but still leased). You can always ask. If your dad is familiar with TiVo, the THR22 will make him feel comfortable.

3. sicariis

sicariis Member

Jul 26, 2012
    The THR-22 is actually now free on lease for new customers on DirecTV's website right now, though they do make it tricky to find. You have to click 'see more equipment options' at the top of the equipment selection page, for it to display the THR-22.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Not too surprising. Just be aware that there is a monthly $5 TiVo fee for these.

5. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002

Advertisements

I was indeed able to order new service with a free thr-22. But it was a little hidden as noted. My dad got his install yesterday. Other than the installer showing up with a non tivo HD DVR and having to go back to the office to get one, everything went smoothly.

He says he doesn't notice the difference in remote/usage, so mission accomplished. I was surprised how zippy it was. I've used an HR-22 with the directv software and its 'hit a button and wait a while'. This seemed snappier than the series/3 and similar to how my genie performs.

So nice 'free' out for folks with a series 3 on comcast ensnared by the mpeg4 conversion.

I heard along the line that a series 4 (relatively cheap used vs a roamio) also will do mpeg4 but I also heard that while the hardware can do the decode, the software isn't ready yet. Not sure about all of that but if someone else comes across this thread, that might be another option.