Quick Question about diplexers

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dilorc, Jul 10, 2006.

1. dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    Okay, I have a 5x8 multiswitch that I am going to install this weekend. One of the inputs is for cable TV. I assume that this means that the cable TV signal will be diplexed with the Directv signal on all the outputs.

I only have a need for cable and SAT in 1 or 2 rooms. For the other rooms, can I just run the output of the multiswitch directly into the receiver, or do I need a diplexer for each output to split the SAT signal back out? It seems to me the the receiver would just tune the freqs it needs and ignore the cable signal, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

2. JeffS

JeffS Member

May 12, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, you can just run the output straight to the SAT box. You only need a diplexer on the other end if you want to split out the ANT/CATV signal.

-Jeff

3. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    a warning to others: (not you). some diplexers come with an OPTIONAL dc blocker. IF this is the case, always attatch it to the "antenna" side for directv uses. There are also special diplexers for POWERED antennas that modulate the voltage to power the antenna. Don't use these on UNPOWERED antennas.

The multiswitch automatically filters out the electricity so the antenna does not get any of it, so you are fine just hooking straight to sat-in.