Quick Interface Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aridon, May 31, 2011.

1. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I have a quick interface question. I'm sure its something stupid I missed.

Lets say I'm watching something that is recorded. I want to check something in the tivo menu. Anything it doesn't matter. From there how do I exit out and get back to my show currently playing?

It seems that all methods of exiting the Tivo menu only bring me to live tv. I'm guessing I'd have to just go back into the recorded program list and reselect the show but I was wondering if there was another way that wasn't half ass. Am I missing something?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You do have to go back into the NPL, but it's not hard. Just press:

TiVo-TiVo-Select-Play

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Exit the show you're watching by hitting the TiVo button. That'll take you to TiVo Central, from where you can do whatever. Once you get through with whatever, hit the TiVo button, that'll take you back to TiVo Central with Now Playing selected. Hitting the TiVo button again, or the Select button, will take you to the listing for the show you were watching, or to the folder that contains it, if you've got more than one episode recorded.

Hit Play. That'll either start the show back up at the point it was at when you bailed, or it'll take you into the folder to the listing for the show, in which case hit Play again.

If there's a shorter shortcut than that, I can't figure it out.

4. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Pause what you are watching however you want--pause button or left arrow on select. Go anywhere you want and do anything but restart the box. You can even turn the TV off. When you finish with what you are doing, go back to the recording your were watching and select it. It will come up with "Resume Playing" selected. Click that and you are back where you left off. You can have several recordings with the "Resume Playing" feature activated.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You don't have to pause it. Just exit out of the recording.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Exiting pauses it even if you never touch the pause button.

When you go back to it, it doesn't say "Play", it says "Resume Playing".

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:
    The point was that you don't have to actively pause/stop the playback as lastdeadcat instructed.
    I have no idea why you decided to argue about the meaning of the word "pause"

eta
    but as long as you brought it up: Pause is a function of play mode, when you pause the playback of a recording and then leave play mode, the playback of the recording is no longer paused, it is stopped.

8. Chas94539

Chas94539 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    I do this all the time, however, it would be nice to have a "back" feature to automatically start the "paused" show again without having to reselect the show.