Quick InstantCake question please.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bob_Newhart, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

I'm looking to download InstantCake tonight to install a new hard drive in my Directivo. I bought my computer a couple months ago and see that it has an SATA(?) type hard drive in it, not the IDE ribbon cable with which I'm more familar.

The instructions for InstantCake say to hook up the CD-ROM (for the program to boot) to the primary cable and the hard drive to secondary. I looked inside mine and see that it does have one of the IDE type cables connected to the CD-ROM. Will I be able to connect the hard drive to the same cable and just set the jumpers to make it all work? Or do I need the CD-ROM and HDD plugged into separate IDE ports on the motherboard? I do have older PCs at the office I could use if needed. It would just be easier at home.

Does this make sense? Thanks.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You will need an IDE cable with two drive connectors on it, but otherwise it will work to share the IDE port with the CD-ROM. You'll need to have the new disk drive set to "slave" or "secondary". Your PC may not have the second connector on the cable - if not, you'll need to scrounge/buy a new IDE cable.

3. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Thank you. I will bring an extra IDE cable home tonight, just in case.