Quick Help.... new to tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by danielhv, Aug 18, 2007.

1. danielhv

danielhv New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    not really new, had it about 4 years ago with directtv... now im going back and learning that tivo is not going to be making directtv recievers anymore? Anyways, I found a guy selling one and wanted you thoughts and opinions on it. its a Phillips DSR708 80gb.... he's asking $65. Is this a good deal? Are they good recievers? better than the Directtv DVR's? Will they transfer shows to the pc? Will I have to pay TIVO for service or do I pay DirecTV? seems so much has changed over the years I dont know where to begin.

Daniel

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The DSR708 is a fine product. $65 does not seem unreasonable to me. Most people like them better than the corresponding non-TiVo product (R15), though opinions differ.

No transferring of shows or any network features unless you "hack" the box. You pay DirecTV for "DVR Service", not TiVo.

3. danielhv

danielhv New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    is this reciever going to be better than the one direct tv would send me with new service? I called directtv before you replied and she said id have to pay tivo for the dvr service.... im so confused... i dont know if I should spend the $65 for the Dtvio, or just take the DVR they give me when I sign up for DTV service...

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you get one from DirecTV, the R15, it will be considered a lease. If you get the used unit, you most likely will have to get a new access card from DirecTV ($20). Also, before buying that unit, you need to verify that there is no outstanding balance against it.

Which one is better is a subject that is discussed quite often. If you haven't had a TiVo based DVR before, then the R15 will work for you.

For more info about the R15 go here.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

5. danielhv

danielhv New Member

Aug 18, 2007

How do I know if there is a balance? I guess my confusion lies in who I pay DVR service to. If its a DirecTivo, do I pay Tivo or Direct TV? If I have to pay Tivo, Im not going to do it... but if its directtv, then its the same price as if I took their Dvr, which I can justify as I would rater have tivo instead of their dvr....

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You pay all to DirecTV - TiVo is out of the picture as far as your interaction. The price is the same whether it's TiVo-based or NDS-based (R15, etc.)

How do you know? Well, if you can get the serial number you can try calling DTV and asking. I think the DVR40 is not a "RID" (Receiver ID) box, so there is not a separate RID number, but if there is, you probably need that too.