Quick Harmony remote question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NYHeel, Jan 5, 2006.

1. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I know this is an often discussed topic but I have a specific question on the Harmony 360 remote. I recently purchased the HP MD5880n tv and the tivo remote can't control that tv. I also now have 2 tivos in the same room (one for HD) and just got a Yamaha receiver/speaker package. So I figured it was time to get a good universal remote. I was told that the Harmony 360, 520 and 880 work with the HP, including the discrete codes that are coming in the updated firmware that HP will provide shortly. I was absolutely shocked at how expensive these remotes are and I'm still in the process of trying to convince myself (and my wife) that I should buy a remote for $100. Imagine that, the remote costs more than the Tivo it controls.

Here's my question. Can I program the remote so that one button on it will actually do 2 normal button presses? For example, sometimes when I'm watching football on my Tivo, I like to use the 30 second skip for the play clock. However, some teams run their plays faster so I press 8 second rewind and 30 second skip right afterwards to get a 22 second skip. Can I program the Harmony 360 to do this sequence with one button? If not are there other remotes out (preferably under $100) that can do that as well as control multiple tivos in one room and control my HP MD5880n?

2. tgibbs

tgibbs New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    This is not the sort of thing the Harmony does readily, although there are tricks to get around this limitation. You might be happier with a remote that emphasizes macros, like the Home Theater Master MX-500. These aren't cheap, either, though. A cheaper if less elegant alternative is the Sony RM-VL-900, which provides a limited number of macros.

3. citoman1

citoman1 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Universal's MX-800 is 100% programable and is even RF. But it's going to cost you from about $300-$350. It's going to hurt but well worth every single dollar.