Questions on wireless adapters and DirectTV HD Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gandalf44, Feb 9, 2006.

1. gandalf44

gandalf44 New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Ok, trying to parse through all the info.

If I recently ordered DirectTV with a HD DVR (Tivo), do I need a real landline to get the Tivo Guide information?

Can the new Tivo wireless-g adapters work with the latest DirectTV HD DVR's USB port? Or does that come down inband on the satellite signal? I mean only the Guide information, how is that data received by the HD DVR Tivo?

And no HMO, so no Tivo-to-Tivo transfers?

-Brian

2. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    Not really. The guide info is delivered by sat. The phoneline is primarily used to touch base, order PPV, and trigger upgrades to reboot/install (if that should ever happen). It will whine about not making calls without hacking.

Officially, no. With some hacking, wired adapters can be enabled. Wireless can be added to the wired adaptor. DirecTV has not yet turned the USB ports on at all.

None of the official TiVo networking software is supported at this time. MRV-ish functionality *can* be set up, but it requires hacking the box.

-Brian[/QUOTE]

3. gandalf44

gandalf44 New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Ok, so what if I do not have a regular landline?

I use Vonage over my Cable modem's broadband Internet connection.

-Brian

4. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    Simplest answer (I'm told...I do have landlines so can't swear) is do your hookup and config, use a neighbors line (no sat required for a call), then ignore the nags about not calling. You can ignore the call nags with no consequence.

Someone with experience will correct this (quickly I'd expect) if I have interpreted wrong.

Feel free to search the forum for a more accurate answer. If you find one, reply right here. I'll acknowledge without a fight and it can be a short thread with a concise answer.

Surrender can actually be a victory in the big picture :)

5. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Some folks have made it work okay with Vonage. I have not paid much attention because I use a land line. Search for Vonage.

6. AVPhan

AVPhan New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Check out here:
    http://www.vonage-forum.com/forum9.html

7. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    I'm dropping the land line, next month. That will probably provide enough motivation to experiment with calling home via Skype. VOIP for free, computer-to-computer, is OK with me. Otherwise, I'm paying just over 2 cents/minute for last-mile calls.

In the 3+ months I've been using Skype, I've spent less than $6.

And if it doesn't work in just a few tries, I'll just do the usual and ignore the nags.