questions on S3 networking, unbox, and tivo desktop

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Twiddler, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I've got my new S3 up and running with two cablecards from timewarner and things are going pretty well but I have a couple networking questions I'm hoping to get help with.

1) wireless
    My tivo is connecting to my internet connection wirelessly and this seems to be working well. I had to enter in my WEP key and it connected right up. Is this wireless connection different than the home networking connection? Right now I can't seem to find computers to share pictures and videos with.

2. unbox
    I did the website unbox setup things and rented a couple of movies but I still can't find them on my tivo...is this related to the home networking issues above? If so, is there a faq or pages someone could direct me to with regards to getting this working?

3. TivoDesktop
    Should I install this? It seems to say lots of the features don't work with the S3?

thank you for your time and thanks for this great forum.

Andy

2. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    S3 doesn't yet do videos from your PC directly.

I'd install the tivo desktop (xp only) this is how the tivo sees the photos and music from the computer to display on the tivo.

in unbox you select the tivo to send the content to. mine appears as an unbox folder with my unbox rentals on my series 3 nowplaying list.

in your tivo preferences from the tivo website you'll need to make sure that "enable video downloads" is checked to receive unbox content.

3. Twiddler

Twiddler New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Thank you Matthew. :) Your tips helped out a lot. I installed the tivo desktop and tried to add some folders of pictures and music. It looks like tivo can only play unprotected mp3s...is this correct? No windows or itunes formats yet? Once the tivo desktop was unstalled, under Server | Tivo Server Properties | Access Control...I noticed that the flashlight thing ran endlessly and could not find my unit. I also checked my account and the video download was Enable On. I decided to call tivo tech support. The guy was ok but talked really fast and just wanted me off the line. He told me to call amazon for unbox issues and also told me to call Linksys for router issues... he did say he thought it was a blocked port issue...and gave me a list to unblock. I contacted linksys, unblocked the ports and everything is working!

I'm a happy tivo user once again.

Andy

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The TiVo itself only understands MP3.

There is a plugin for TiVo Desktop which will transcode other formats (WMA, AAC, FLAC, etc) into MP3 on the fly. Dan203 wrote it - look at the sticky threads at the top of the TiVo Home Media Features forum.

TiVo can't access DRM protected music, like ITMS purchases. You'd need to strip the DRM first. (Look for QTFairUse6 in Google.)