Questions from Canada

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rockislandmike, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1 of 123
    rockislandmike

rockislandmike Gloss Drops Rosebuds

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada

Advertisements

Well, certainly exciting news. My brother-in-law got us a Series 2 Tivo DVR for Christmas; my wife and I have been talking about putting it on ebay for some time now - and now today's announcement !!!

Now I just have to decide (after a rather lengthy discussion) if the monthly fee is a higher priority for me than having some other technology that I've been ogling.

At any rate, does anyone know - if I activated this week - if my Tivo will work just like it would in the US??? Like, do I get ALL the functionality???

My wife also wants to know if we can start off on the monthly plan, and then after a couple months we decide we're pretty darned happy if we can buy the lifetime plan . . . . . .

2. Sep 19, 2005 #2 of 123
    ECN

ECN New Member

Sep 17, 2005

Have you considered calling TiVo Customer Support and asking them?

They'd know best what they'll let you do where the LIFETIME plan is concerned.

3. Sep 19, 2005 #3 of 123
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    The software needs to update to version 7.2 FIRST before you can enter a Canadian postal code in Guided Setup.. But otherwise.. once it's up and running yes.. it's pretty much a fully featured TIVO in Canada.

And yes.. you can switch to lifetime from monthly but you cannot get credit for the months you were on the monthly rate.. ie : you pay 12.95 for 4 months and decide to buy lifetime.. lifetime still costs the same..

4. Sep 20, 2005 #4 of 123
    CRussel

CRussel Geek

Feb 24, 2002
    Sunshine...
    I wonder how long till new units are shipping with 7.2 on them? That would be a boon for Canadians, for sure. Otherwise we'll need to provide guidance on how to get installed and updated quickly. Of course, between us we have written a bit of documentation so it shouldn't be a big deal. ;)

5. Sep 20, 2005 #5 of 123
    rockislandmike

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada

Advertisements

Thanks, guys. I did try calling their (877) number first btw, but it's NOT accessible from Canada yet.

So how tricky is it to install this 7.2 software (if there's documentation you can just point me to it) ??? Is that something I get access to once I've activated ??? I'm not overly concerned about that part, I oversee a pretty complex bit of software at work, but just would like all the knowledge I can before I commit for a year.

6. Sep 20, 2005 #6 of 123
    azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    Only time will tell, but we're all hoping to see it by the holiday shopping season.

Drew

7. Sep 20, 2005 #7 of 123
    azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    Installation of 7.2 will be automatic; it requires no intervention on your part. You should, however, put your TiVo on the priority list to get it faster:

http://research.tivo.com/72priority/

If you have your TSN, you can even try putting it on there now.

Drew

8. Sep 20, 2005 #8 of 123
    rockislandmike

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada
    Just browsing through the tivo website, and they've even got a local edmonton number now when you type in our area code!!!

(although i like many of you will quickly be connecting it to our home network once it's done all it needs to with the phone - thank goodness i put the port in the rumpus room when we were renovating :) )

9. Sep 20, 2005 #9 of 123
    CRussel

CRussel Geek

Feb 24, 2002
    Sunshine...
    Short answer:
    1.) Activate
    2.) Put your TSN on the priority list to get 7.2 (
    http://research.tivo.com/72priority/)
    3.) Do your initial install/Guided Setup with your correct Area Code, cable and a US ZIP code. (Hint: if you choose 00000, it comes up as "TinyTiVo" with really short list of available stations and information making the whole process easier and quicker.)
    4.) Force a daily call every few hours until you get the message that your TiVo is pending a reboot - that's the sign that you've gotten the 7.2 software.

10. Sep 20, 2005 #10 of 123
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    I believe the list of TSN's to be updated is changed on a daily basis so forcing a daily call more than once per day is not beneficial. (Although it might make you feel better :) )

It's also been reported that newly activated Tivo's are normally upgraded to the latest release within days of activation.

11. Sep 20, 2005 #11 of 123
    CRussel

CRussel Geek

Feb 24, 2002
    Sunshine...
    You may well be right about only daily updates to the list -- didn't know. But if it makes them feel better...

I can't comment about when upgrade will occur relative to activation, since I've had a lifetime sub on both units forever. Just VERY glad to be able to use native TiVo again.

12. Oct 1, 2005 #12 of 123
    rmarshll

rmarshll New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    USA
    Just thought Id let you all know that TIVO is working on Bell Expressvu West feed.

I just bought a lifetime on my DVR-810H-S TIVO and its working great with my bell Sub.

13. Oct 1, 2005 #13 of 123
    bruinsfan

bruinsfan New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    New to the forum.......wondering if anybody out there has been able to use Tivo in Canada with Bell Expressvu EAst feed (Ottawa)? If so, did you have to make sure the Tivo you purchased had the latest software version on it? Is that version 7.2?

This is awesome news.....finally!!!!!

14. Oct 1, 2005 #14 of 123
    rmarshll

rmarshll New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    USA
    I set mine up for the west but it did have the option of using East Coast feed as well.. im sure it would work.

15. Oct 1, 2005 #15 of 123
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It needs to have 7.2 to accept Canadian postal codes. It either needs to come with it, or you can have it download 7.2, setting up with a fake US zip code.

16. Oct 2, 2005 #16 of 123
    rockislandmike

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada
    Okay, just activated, my wife's all on board - went monthly for now, and then if we're happy we'll probably bump that to a lifetime with christmas money.

I hope this isn't too complex a procedure to do the setup stuff - I'm really handy with computers, but with having to wait until the dvr downloads version 7.2 so i can input a POSTAL CODE instead of a ZIPCODE (and I'm not convinced it will show Canadian area codes to dial to the first time either . . . . nor does it sound like the support people have ANY clue), we'll just have to see. I guess, worst case, if I can't get it set up in 20 days I'll just cancel the whole thing, get our money back, and then sell the unit on ebay.

17. Oct 2, 2005 #17 of 123
    rmarshll

rmarshll New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    USA
    the easiest way to set it up if you dont have the 7.2 software is to just choose a zip code in the us.. then use say like dishnetwork and only choose to have one channel guide data.. once it gets the data successfully then you just need to manually do a Daily call and you should get the 7.2 software.. Clear and Delete the unit after it gets the newest software and your good to go.. and just so you know you will beable to choose a Canadian Area Code for the phone portion of the setup.. even if you sellect a US provider with the older Software

Good Luck

18. Oct 2, 2005 #18 of 123
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Even faster method..

Choose Zipcode 00000 / CABLE / areacode whereever you live

One of your choices will be TINY TIVO, Aliviso California. This has 2 channels.

Quickest way thru Guided Setup - hands down.

Using Dishnetwork - it will still download all 13 days of Dishnetwork data for all however many channels Dishnetwork has.. regardless of how many you tell the TIVO you receive.

J

19. Oct 3, 2005 #19 of 123
    rmarshll

rmarshll New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    USA
    Thats good to know.. thanks for the info. Wish I would have know that when i did mine..

20. Oct 3, 2005 #20 of 123
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Clear and delete? that's a waste of time. All that needs to be done is to repeat guided setup.