Questions from a former MythTV user

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nichos, Aug 21, 2016.

1. nichos

nichos New Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Hi all, first post here.

I just got a Roamio OTA and have been enjoying it thus far. I've been using MythTV for about 6 years now and had some questions.

There's countless threads on power/sleep, etc, so I get that we shouldn't turn TiVo off (just like MyhtTV) but what "screen' should I leave it on? With myth I would always exit so the tuner isn't in use.

And if I should just leave it on a channel, what happens if it needs to record using all tuners?

Finally, do you guys typically delete things after watching them? Or just let them auto-expire?

Thanks in advance!

2. TiVoSupport_Sarah

TiVoSupport_Sarah TiVo Representative

Mar 30, 2015
    Nichos,

I will answer your questions in order.
    There is no specific "screen" that you need to leave the OTA on. By default the OTA will revert back to LiveTV.
    If the OTA needs to record with all tuners and it is on a different channel, the OTA will change the channel to one of the channels it needs to record.
    Deleting shows that you have watched and no longer want should be deleted for the sake of hard drive space. This will clear of space for future shows and will keep the shows that you want from being deleted.

Does this answer your questions?
    Thank you for your post and questions.

3. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I put my Roamio into standby all the time. It will wake up if it needs to.

4. nichos

nichos New Member

Aug 21, 2016
    It does, thanks for the reply TiVoSupport_Sarah

So while I'm not watching TV, I should just turn the TV itself off and let the tivo sit on some live channel? That means it's recording on all 4 tuners, writing to HD all the time?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    When the TiVo is powered-on, it is "buffering" at all times -- that is, it is, at a minimum, writing to the hard drive for each distinct channel tuned, maintaining up to a 30-minute buffer for each channel. Depending on your total number of tuners and whether each tuner is tuning a distinct TV channel, you could have anywhere from 1 up to your number of tuners actively buffering. Of course, you would subtract from this "buffering" list any tuners that are currently recording. (You have the same number of streams writing to the hard drive, just some are "buffering" while others are "recording.")

Why is the distinction between "buffering" and "recording" important? Recording continues even when the DVR is put into Standby (*see below for 'Suggestions' exception); however, automatic buffering is disabled when the DVR is in Standby, and buffering only occurs for tuners actively in-use by Minis for LiveTV. This last detail is why many people prefer to leave their DVR powered-on at all times: it makes for a quicker Mini tuning experience, and provides the Mini improved channel surfing, as its tuning buffer may not reset to 0 with each channel change, if you select a channel that is already buffering on the DVR.

* As an aside, TiVo Suggestions recordings are controlled by two distinct TiVo configuration options. TiVo Suggestions can be completely disabled via the 'Recording Settings' dialog; and Suggestions can also be configured to record, or not, when the DVR is put into Standby, via the 'Power Saving Settings' dialog.​

As far as controlling the TiVo's power state, you can manually put the TiVo into Standby; or set the TiVo's power saving settings to allow it to remain powered-on at all times or to put itself into Standby mode after a set interval (based on your selected setting).

See the following post for more details re: TiVo power settings:
    ... though I'd disagree with the manual's assertion that a paused LiveTV channel would buffer when the DVR is put into Standby. My testing indicates that ALL simple buffering is reset when the DVR is put into Standby.

6. nichos

nichos New Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks krk for the excellent explanation. My concern was all the RWs on the drive, but I guess it's normal.
    I'm using"medium" power settings now on my Roamio OTA and it's been fine so far. If I buy a mini I'll revisit it.
    Thanks again!

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree with your logic. I have a basic Roamio that is used for only a few hours every day. I put it into Standby when I'm finished using it. But the next day when I hit the Live TV button, there is quick display of a full buffer. This could be the buffer from the previous day. I'd bet it is. I always use Standby before removing power after an update.

Also, the TiVo box Diagnostics indicates that all the tuners are not running since they start at 0 when Live TV is selected.