Questions before purchasing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ron McGuire, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ron McGuire

Ron McGuire New Member

Nov 10, 2016

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a tivo and am wondering if we can either take the box with us to watch the recordings when we are in our RV (away from internet or cell service) or transfer the recordings to another device that we can hook up and watch in our RV when there is no internet or cell service. So no streaming? Only harddrive playback?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, you can play when it's not connected to cable. (but it will likely nag you about no network connection).. and you won't be able to view upcoming recordings, etc., which unfortunately are nowadays internet based (even though ~2 weeks of guide data is right there on the device).

You can download UNPROTECTED recordings from your Tivo with something like kmttg (third party software). Others have said that even the official Tivo transfer software (which was Windows only) is unsupported nowadays. The "official" solution on the Mac was Toast, but AFAIK, that only ever *converted* recordings and couldn't get you the raw mpeg recording.

so again, if your recordings are unprotected -- _often_ all recordings but premium channels like HBO (but for that you could just use the official HBO app on a phone/ipad). though some people say their cable company protects almost everything.
    Only premiums for me on Comcast.

3. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    TiVo desktop 2.8.3 is working fine on my newish, June 2016, notebook. I'm pulling in the latest Jeff Dunham show over a wired connection and it is working fine. Unsupported does not mean it doesn't work. My Office 2003 Professional software is unsupported but works fine. Probably much to the annoyance of Microsoft.

Roamio Basic/4-tuner 10/100 wired, wireless 802.11n

4. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    OK. You also need something to convert .tivo files to MPEG files to play on a Windows 10 machine. Video Redo Plus for $49.99 will do the trick. But, maybe ask Tivo before you buy if they can provide you with a key for TiVo Desktop Plus which also does this, I think. GL

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

Why do you need to convert the .tivo files? I have TiVo Desktop on my Dell laptop running Windows 10 and it plays any shows I have downloaded to it from my TiVos just fine when I am out of the house/off my home network.

TiVo no longer sells or supports TiVo Desktop Plus - no way to activate the extra features it provided.

6. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Tivo desktop is not playing a Tivo file on my new HP Win10 machine.

I suggested to the OP that he ask Tivo for a Tivo Desktop Plus key before he buys his Bolt. SOP ask for everything you want before the sale.

7. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you can not play files transferred to your laptop Via TiVo Desktop you have something missing/wrong and it has nothing to do with not having TIVo Desktop plus. TiVo Desktop & TiVo Desktop Plus are the same exact software. Paying for the plus version unlocked additional features that had nothing to do with playing the TiVo file on your computer. As for TiVo selling/giving someone a key - it would not do the person much good, the software used on TiVo's servers to authorize & support the plus features has been removed.

TiVo Desktop is a stand alone program, adding the plus features required server support so when TiVo says they no longer support TiVo Desktop Plus they really mean it.

Edit: I potentially have to take back some of what I said above. One of the things that paying for Plus did was provide the codecs/licensing needed to play back MPEG 2 files. Microsoft left that support out of some version of Windows, I think maybe Vista? Not Sure. In any event I always had some other program that provided that support so never needed "Plus" for that. There could be some possibility you still need that support. If you do not have VLC Media player installed, install it and then see if you can play TiVo files without converting them (they will still be played in Windows media player). It could also be the free K-Lite codec pack that I have installed on all my computers that provides the support instead of VLC Media player.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  8. mikewb

mikewb New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Cascade...
    I use Tivo to watch shows in my RV when camping. I have a Tivo Bolt at home and an Android tablet with the Tivo app installed. At home, I use the app to transfer recorded shows from the Bolt to the tablet. When in the RV I connect an HDMI cable from the tablet's micro-HDMI output to the TV's HDMI input and then use the app to play the recorded shows. The audio and video are played on the tablet and the TV so I turn down the volume on the tablet and turn it away from my chair so it's not distracting, then use the TV's remote control to adjust the volume. You can even skip commercials by using the progress bar in the Tivo app to skip ahead in the show. So yes, Tivo in the RV works great!

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When Microsoft stopped providing the MPEG2 CODEC by default with Windows; that stopped letting you play the files from Tivo Desktop until you installed an alternative MPEG2 CODEC, that removal was as of Windows 8.

atmuscarella likes this.
  10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've heard that from other sources too. But my Dell that started with Win 8 and I upgraded to 8.1 Pro plays .TiVo programs just like my old Win 7 laptop. It works, but I don't know why.

11. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My warning is to the OP. Are you guaranteeing that tivo files will play on all combinations of hardware and software? Tivo files play on my Win 7 workstation fine. I don't need to play tivo files on my new notebook, just warning the OP that not all things work the way you hope.

12. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you are twisting my words a little especial seeings what I said in the rest of the post. That said I am sticking by my statement that if you have setup TiVo Desktop and it is able to download files from your TiVo then the only reason you would not be able to play them on that computer is if you are missing something - that something most likely would be the codecs to play MPEG 2 files which are not difficult to get via some reasonably easy to install, likely free software.

13. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My guess is you have some software that added the codecs. There are several programs that would have provided the codecs, including windows media center.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's correct. I have WMC on the computer but disabled. When I open a TiVo program WMP is running.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Normally with any OEM manufacturer PC they've shipped with a DVD or media player program that will contain the MPEG2 CODEC, A clean build of just the OS will not have that.

16. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    Depending on where you're camping, if you have Wifi access, leave the Tivo at home and Stream onto a iOS or Android device. There are ways to get that onto a larger TV if you want to. If you don't have Internet access where you're going, you can, at least on my iPad, start up the Tivo App, pick the show I want and click on Download. I can pick the Quality and it'll show me how much space it'll take up. Then you click on Download with these Options. Those programs will now show up on the 'On ipad' section instead of 'On DVR' section. When you go into that section, it'll show the programs you have on your iPad, and anything still downloading onto it.

Once it's on your iPad, you can play it on your iPad anywhere you go. If you have a AppleTV plugged into your Big TV on the RV, well now you can AirPlay from the iPad to the Apple TV to be seen on the HDTV Wireless. Not sure about a lightning to HDMI adapter if that would work or not. Depends on the DRM restrictions. Android, I'm not sure. Some Android devices I know have a mini HDMI port on them and so you can just get a mini hdmi to normal HDMI cable and plug in that way. Not sure what the wireless solution is, Does ChromeCast work with the Tivo App? That's a cheap $35 HDMI dongle you could plug into your HDTV, and then CAST the Tivo TV show from the Android device to your HDTV wireless.

I think these are the better ways to go then actually taking the Tivo with you. It can't record anything at that point anyway, and you want to watch what's on it, so just getting a copy and taking that and leaving the Tivo so it can continue recording the new content seems like a smarter move. So either copy the content, or Stream the content if you have good Wifi access where you're going. Doing either of those things you can Cast with Android or AirPlay with iOS. I would test it and make sure everything works before going on your trip in the RV.