Questions about Tivo Basic Service.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GameGuru, Sep 10, 2011.

1. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I read the guide only shows for three days and there is no season pass. Can you setup a manual recurring record for say every tuesday 8pm to 9pm?

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If you have one of the no longer produced, Toshiba or Pioneer made combination Tivo/Dvd units, yes.

These were the only units made with the "Tivo Basic" capability.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    On what machine?

4. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I am bidding on a Toshiba DVR SD- with Tivo Basic. I was wondering how exactly Tivo Basic works. Can I only record for up to three days. My wife watches all the ABC Soaps, can she set it to record them all everyweek or does she have to set it every three days?

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It actually programs like an old style vcr. It is actually programmed by time slot. So it will record that channel and time slot, say from 1 to 2pm. You can request a one time recording, a daily recording, or a weekly recording. It will continue the daily or weekly recordings of that channel and time slot indefinitely, regardless what show is actually aired in that time slot.

6. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Ok thanks.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a Toshiba DVD unit with Basic. I played with it for a couple weeks before subbing it. It basically just lets you setup repeat manual recordings, but is slightly more automated because you can do it by picking stuff from the guide. The worst part about it is that there is no SP manager, so your repeat recordings are prioritized by the order they're entered and there is no way to reorder them. There are no groups or Now Playing sorting, no way to control the quality of individual recordings (everything adheres to a global setting), no padding, no way to filter out repeats, etc... It's basically just a VCR with a guide.

Plus every few days you'll get a message nagging you to upgrade to Plus.

Dan

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Odd. It's been a while(3 years) since my Toshiba bit the dust. Used it with basic only for about 4 years. Don't remember the nagging, or at least any extended nagging. Totally possible though. Maybe it only nags for a short period, when first activated, or when trying to use "Plus" features.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK "nag" was probably the wrong word. I got those little envelope messages every few days telling me about all the stuff I was missing out on by not having Plus. Although this was more like 6 years ago, so maybe they don't do that any more.

Dan

11. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Another limitation is that you can't transfer, unless you have one of the DVD burner models from Pioneer or Toshiba. Mine are gathering dust with other Tivos and electronics that work, so they can't be discarded, but have limited value, so they aren't worth setting up ads on ebay or Craigslist.

12. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    You looking to get rid of one cheap?

13. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess it's all relative, from one's perspective. (On average, from what I have observed)Tivo units with "Tivo Basic" usually go for considerably more than your typical S2. Even more than the Tivo HD.

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo basic is a step up from using an older S1 for manual recordings. The DVD models also have component output and you don't have to change inputs on your TV to watch a DVD.

They are good for recording news, game shows, talk shows and soap operas that are aired on a regular schedule.

15. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Selling's a hassle with which I quit dealing. I usually find a relative or that needs or wants something in the closet, and then it gets a new home. A TiVo with basic is easy, as are most computers. The S1 and S2's are more challenging, as the cost of ownership is not zero.

16. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    GameGuru:

I'm jumping in late here, but I'll just add that TiVoBasic also won't know if a program has moved its time slot for some reason and compensate accordingly.

I don't know anything about these Basic units, but I'll tell you that I've been a TiVo subscriber since 2003 and I can't imagine dealing with what this unit seems to entail. It's a glorified VCR. A standard TiVo is much, much more.

I'd just encourage you to take a look at a current unit and see if it might better fit your needs. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Bob

17. Lepa71

Lepa71 New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I found toshiba tivo on craigslist and looking to buy it for my parents. Their VCR died and I want to replace it with this tivo with basic service only. Do I need to do anything to transfer basic service to new owner?

Thanks

18. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No. There is no account required, at all, for Tivo Basic. Actually, an account or some kind of registration is not even possible for a unit used with only Tivo Basic.

The Basic capabilities are built into the machine. No kind of activation required.

And really, don't expect much of any kind of support from Tivo on these units with Basic service only. Hardware issues? Absolutely no support from Tivo.

19. Lepa71

Lepa71 New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I think for $10 I can risk it. Do you think it will work as VCR(manual recording with time and chanal)?

Thanks

20. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely so. The Tivo Basic capabilities(3 day guide, updated time, vcr style recording, etc) are always there.