Questions about move from HR10 to HR20

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JeffTHX, Oct 19, 2007.

1. JeffTHX

JeffTHX New Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

Hello--

I've been reading posts on this forum and over at DBSTalk, but I still have some questions that I thought would be easier to have answered if I consolidated them all.

Here is the situation: I currently have 2 HR10-250s, each of which have had an additional 250GB HD added to them. I own both of these boxes (I bought them early). I also have 3 SD Sat-T60s. I'm using the old 4LNB dish, with a Terk T2 5x16 multiswitch. I also have an OTA antenna sending a signal to both of my HD Tivos.

I'm a 5-star (heart?) customer with DirecTV (big package, autopay, etc.), and I'm considering making the jump to switch over to the new DVRs. Here are my questions (along with what I believe to be the answers to some of the questions). I'm looking for input/validation from this group:

--Obviously I'll need a new dish and (I believe) a new multiswitch. Since I need to have at least 10 outputs, I assume I need a 16-output switch (since 8 isn't enough, and 16 is the next increment). Will DirecTV provide this to me as part of the installation? What exactly do I ask for if I make the call?

--I have 5 runs of RG6 going from my roof to the existing multiswitch in my basement. I'm only using 4 of the runs right now. If I get the new dish, am I OK as far as the cable runs are concerned? The cables were run when my home was being built, and getting new RG6 run to my basement now would be a major undertaking.

--I only plan to make this switch if the cost is minimal. I can't tell from the posts if people are still able to make this switch without getting charged the full amount for the hardware. Has anyone swapped out as many boxes as I'm describing without incurring big charges? What if I only swapped the HD boxes? Would the SD Tivos still continue to work?

--I've only seen references to people switching from the HR10-250 to the HR20. Is DirecTV doing a similar no-charge swap of the SD Tivo boxes? If I make this switch, I want to do it all at once and replace all 5 boxes at the same time.

--Since I own all 5 of my existing boxes, I would plan on keeping them. From what I understand, I would still be able to record OTA HD on the HR10s. What else (if anything) could I use any of these old boxes for (other than playing back existing recordings)? If I drop the Tivo subscription, would the HR10s still be able to record (if I used manual recording)?

--I really prefer the OTA signal to the DTV signal for locals (based on what I've seen), and it sounds like I would need to try and get an HR20 (instead of an HR21) to make sure I have the ability to view OTA locals. Is this correct? One reason for me wanting to make this switch now is to make sure I get an HR20 before they completely switch their supply over to the HR21. 75% of my season passes are network shows, and I get a very good OTA signal in my home, so this is one of the factors that will go into my decision.

--If I add an eSATA drive to the new HR20, how do I know how much additional capacity that would provide? For example, would a 750GB drive give me around 75 hours of HD capacity?

I think that this covers most of my questions. There is no burning need for me to make the move, but the thought of being able to swap out all of my hardware now for little (or no) cost is appealing. I could keep the boxes I have to watch my stored shows. What am I missing? Is there anything I'm not taking into account with this? I'm a huge fan of the Tivo interface, but I'd be willing to make the switch if the end result doesn't cost me 1) a lot of headache or 2) a lot of money.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide. I'm going to continue to do my research on this forum, but I'm still posting this to try and get these questions answered all at once.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    They will generally give you the dish and an 8 port multiswitch if they are installing a dvr that requires the new dish. I don't believe they stock 16 port switches. You may have to buy that yourself.

5 lines from the roof should be plenty. The new dish will only use 4 of them.

There is no reason to upgrade your SD boxes. They still do everything today they did yesterday.

What offer you get to upgrade your HR10's will vary with the CSR you get. I don't think they are giving them away for free anymore now that the new HD channels are up. Until you try you won't know what deal they will offer you.

If you figure out what to do with your HR10's let me know. I have two of them on the shelf behind me.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you don't need more than four lines for the new boxes, then you could use the new WB68 (6x8) multiswitch and cascade your older switch off of it. This will give you 8 outputs for your older equipment and 4 for the new MPEG4 stuff.

4. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    They gave me a 16 port switch. Arrived with an 8, looked and said "oh you need a 16x" and went outside and got one.

5. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS

Advertisements

Most of us are just adding the HR20 to our existing system. No real swapping out going on. You will probably get the HR20, new dish and install for $19.95. You may even get a second for a reduced price. There is no way you will get replacements for all of your receivers. And all of the receivers DirecTV has ever used, all work independently. Adding an HR20 or replacing it will not impact any of your other receivers.

As long as you keep the HR10 on your account it will work just like it always at least for the short term. As existing HD satellite channels move to MPEG4, they will disappear from the guide and you won't be able to record them. You will always be able to record SD and OTA digital. Remove the HR10 from your account and it will play back recordings only. They also make good doorstops.

There's a summary of recording space in the eSATA thread at DBS Talk. I think it was around 9GB per hour of MPEG2 HD and 7GB per hour of MPEG4 HD. Please check the thread for exact amounts.

-Robert

6. bsnelson

bsnelson Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    McKinney,...
    They ended up doing two 8 port switches for me with splitters. It works fine. Despite being 4 hearts, the best I could swing was $199 for the HR20 and install, but I did get 12 months of HD Access comped, so my final cost is about $80. Not too shabby.

Four lines is enough; that's all it takes.

They won't take your HR10 even if it's leased. They don't want them back. What they MIGHT do for leased units (obviously this doesn't apply to the OP) is prohibit it being activated on a different account (thus prohibiting you from selling it).

Brad

7. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    That's kinda weird. For the leased one I got for the price of shipping, at least I get a free hard drive out of it. For the other one I bought at launch, I get a $1000 hard drive. :eek:

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I got my hr20 last week and run that along with 2 HDtivos thru a hdmi switcher to the same input on my tv. One night i turned on wheel of fortune and compared OTA hdtivo vs hr20 mpeg4 locals. I couldnt see a difference.

time may reveal something different..or may not. I prefer OTA because it is reliable in a storm whereas satellite is not.

9. toneman

toneman This space for rent

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Will you (still) be given a WB68 if you have but only two DVRs (and no other receivers)? I ask because pretty much all the posts I've read so far that mention the WB68 imply that it is a required part for installing the 5LNB dish/hardware; no such multiswitch was used during my installation...probably because of the fact that I was running only 2 receivers?

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    If you only need 4 lines you wont get the switch. For example last week the installed put in the hr20 to the 5lnb with just 2 lines. However that wasn't on the work order and this week someone came back and hooked up the 2 HDtivos and had to add the switch since I needed 6 total wires.

11. jpenneck

jpenneck Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How many coax lines come off the new 5 lnb dish ? I'm thinking about doing the switch and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get one or more coax lines run into the house. I currently have a 4x8 multi-switch which will need to be replaced I assume to support the new Ka (?) band signals.

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There are four outputs on the 5LNB dish, same as the 3LNB.

Your switch will need to be replaced with the Zinwell WB68 (6x8).

13. jpenneck

jpenneck Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Jim,

Thanks for the quick response!

14. toneman

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks for the confirmation! :up:

15. dshmel

dshmel New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    The installer from D* told me that daisy chaining the multi-switches will cause the older ("downstream") switch to "overheat". Not sure if he is correct. Anyone know if there would be a reason why this could happen?

16. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have heard this too - it probably has to do with the power draw, since these get powered from the receivers. I've also seen people use four splitters on the feeds from the dish and connect to two multiswitches. This should work as long as each splitter goes to the same input on each multiswitch.

17. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    It sounds like all of your specific questions have been answered. Here are the HD DVR (HR20) Ordering Tips. Click each link. Please click the link to the agreement to see details about the contract.

In addition, many are having success with the Big Ten Offer. Up to 2 HR20's, through 10/31/07.

- Craig

18. toneman

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anywhere on that Big Ten web page where you can get 2 HR20 DVRs for free; also, the poster stated that he got two HD receivers...not necessarily two HD DVR receivers. I don't know of anyone who was able to swing two HR20 DVRs for free (on the same order, under normal circumstances); maybe one free HR20 and a second (or more) at a reduced price, or maybe a free HR20 and H20...but not two HR20s.

19. JeffTHX

JeffTHX New Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    One more question that just occurred to me: If I have 1 or more HR20's on my account, and I want to keep one or more of my old HR10's active on my account, do I have to pay both a DVR fee AND a Tivo fee on my monthly bill? Or does the monthly DVR fee (plus the mirroring fee for each receiver) keep all of my boxes fully functional?

Thanks,
    Jeff

20. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You have not been paying a "TiVo fee" for nearly three years now. It is a "DVR fee" and covers all integrated DVRs, including DTiVos.