Questions about House

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jan 23, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell

Advertisements

I just started watching "House" when it started airing on USA...but I missed the very first episode, and therefore may have missed a few things that a seasoned viewer could fill me in on...

1. Why the cane???
    2. Why is House forced to work at the clinic against his will???
    3. Any special reason for those 3 particular doctors studying under House???
    And anything else that occurred in the first episode that you remember that was significant...
    Thanks...

2. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    The answers to most of these questions can be found on Wikipedia.

3. DanaMac223

DanaMac223 Proud Army Mom

May 21, 2005
    Northern...
    If you keep watching the cane will be eplained in a later episode. The name escapes me at the moment, but it was a good one.

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I think it was Three Stories.

5. DanaMac223

DanaMac223 Proud Army Mom

May 21, 2005
    Northern...

Advertisements

Yup, thats it. Thanks jschuur! :)

6. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the Wiki link - I just made Apple .99 richer by downloading the theme for House - Teardrop by Massive Attack.

7. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    >> 1. Why the cane???

Prior medical problem. Explained in a later ep.

>> 2. Why is House forced to work at the clinic against his will???

Part of his job. He and his team have to put in a certain number of "clinic hours" per week.

>> 3. Any special reason for those 3 particular doctors studying under
    >> House???

That's "his team". He hired them to fill out the staffing of the Diagnostics Dept (or whatever they call his dept.). IIRC, he hired Foreman because he has "street smarts" (aka a juvie criminal record). He hired Cameron because she's hot. Can't remember why he hired Chase.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, those were the glib answers he gave. I doubt those were the only reasons that he chose them.

9. BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    Probably Chase's great hair. :D

I just found out House is really British.. I didn't realize he was doing an American accent until I was at my g/f's and we watched the "Friends" episode where Rachel goes to London to stop the wedding and the guy sitting next to her on the plane is House, and he uses his real accent there.

10. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Actually he's a french guy doing a british guy who does a mean midwestern american accent even though the fictional hospital is in New Jersey (somewhere near Princeton) :p

11. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Yeah, great episode. Although now that you know that it explains how he got his cane, it'll lost a little bit of its impact. In any case, don't try to read about it, wait until you get a chance to see the episode. I'm pretty sure the first season is out on DVD.

12. JakeyB

JakeyB Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Really? He was on the Golden Globes (that was the latest award show right?) and he sounded quite British.

13. DRobbins

DRobbins Putting things off

Dec 23, 2001
    imdb.com says he was born in Oxford, England and educated at Eton and Cambridge. No mention of any French background.

14. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You might go rent the BBC series "Jeeves & Wooster" if you like Hugh Laurie. There's also "A Bit of Fry and Laurie," but that probably has less appeal to the American audience in general.

15. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    That's it for Foreman.

A little more involved for Cameron. In an episode she asks him why he hired her. At first he says it's because she's nice to look at, then he explains she's so pretty she could have married rich yet she went to med school. Some other explanation about how he thinks that means she's broken.

He said he hired Chase because his daddy made a call. Chase's dad was a big name Thorasic Surgeon I think.

J

16. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Actually I lied about the French part. :p

I thought it kind of fit because of his rudeness. :D :D

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Hugh Laurie's best bits were as various characters in the Blackadder comedy series. Every time I see him on House I can't get his Blackadder characters out of my head. My favorite is of him as the Prince of Wales.

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hugh Laurie is also a novelist. I've read his book The Gun Seller and it's quite good...

19. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would like to see Stephen Fry or Rowan Atkinson in as a guest star/patient... and have House actually deal with him more-so than other patients. Maybe Tony Robinson as a janitor...