Questions about hooking up without subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BearXOX, Sep 29, 2007.

1. BearXOX

BearXOX New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If I just plug in my new Tivo HD and put on the Tivo adapter, plug it into a TV, will the Tivo update the software over the net if I do not have a subscription set up yet? I am not sure when I will get the FiosTV. I am trying to get in as an employee hookup while they are still launching it here in Pittsburgh. If I cannot get onboard that way, it will probably be launched around late October or early November. I just wondered if I should get it set up beforehand, and if you can do that.

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    You can set it up, and have about 6 days before it shuts off most of the functionality. I'm not sure if you'll get software updates or not, but you get everything else.

I did this myself when I was testing FIOS/signal/cabling/CC pixelation issues after swapping a TivoHD.

3. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    If you are still within the grace period you will receive updates from TiVo.

4. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Certain features, however, will not work until you activate. For example, Amazon Unbox, and all of the Internet stuff.

(When I set up my S3 yesterday, I determined that TiVo had the wrong TSN...it didn't match my box...so it would not activate).