Questions about hooking up a Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by That Don Guy, Sep 23, 2018.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I am trying to hook up my Mini, but I just discovered that you can't just connect it to a Bolt using an Ethernet cable between the two of them; the Mini has to go through an actual network.

Two questions:

1. It says that it needs to be a "wired" connection, but if I connect my Mini to a bridge which is connected wirelessly to my network, would that work properly?

2. What problems, if any, would I have if I connected my Mini directly to my cable modem with an Ethernet cable, but connected my Bolt to the network wirelessly? (Note that the Bolt is connected to my cable system via coax.) By "problems," I mean, what effect would it have on my watching shows through the Mini? I assume "wired" is preferred because wireless just isn't fast enough for a TV signal.

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    1. Maybe. It has worked for some and not for others since it depends upon a lot of factors. You would have to try it for yourself.

2. I don’t know, but since both the host dvr and the mini need to be on wired connections to the network, I suspect there will be issues.

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I thought the host could remain wireless, as long as the Mini was wired.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While it has not been tested or documented, I give you a good chance at success. Even better chance with the added performance of a Bolt. A good router helps.

5. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    TiVo Mini/ Mini VOX, the host device, and all other Unified Entertainment System/DVR's you want to use with TiVo Mini/Mini VOX must connect to the home router using a high-bandwidth Ethernet or MoCA connection. You can use either type of connection on either device.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...iguration/New-TiVo-Experience-TiVo-Mini-Setup

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo officially requires wired Ethernet or MoCA network comnections for any boxes that are part of a whole home setup; however, the boxes don’t have any way of testing connectivity and so many people have been successful using Wi-Fi and Powerline as substitutes. YMMV; it all depends on the effective throughput and response time.

I’d think “Mini via Ethernet, BOLT via MoCA” would be the way to go, given the above description; or MoCA for both if the Mini is at a coax location with connectivity to the shared coax plant.