Questions about Full System Reset

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mfleming, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004

Advertisements

I have an old (maybe 7-8 years) 40 hour Philips Tivo (I think it's an R10??) that started to hang whenever I tried to display "Now Playing." It always stopped displaying line items at one title. Everything else worked though. So I needed to deleted the saved programs, since one obviously corrupt title was causing the hangup (and it was all too slow anyway). The only way I figured I could do that was with a Full System Reset.

So, I started it about 2.5 hours ago and it's still running. Previous to that I had run the Reset Thumb Ratings, and that only took one hour. I have two questions:

1. How long should I let it go before giving up on it? I've read horror stories of people going days. But, I've only got a 40 hour drive.

2. What can I expect when it is done? I know I'll have to run the setup again, but I have not done it since I installed a triple LNB a few years ago, that I cannot remember what it will require. Will I have to call DTV (shuddering!)? Will I have to go through a lot of crap to get the antenna stuff set right?

Thanks!!!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1. It can take several hours. If it's not done after 12 hours or so, then try resetting the Tivo and see what happens. It's quite possible that the drive is fried.

2. You'll just need to repeat Guided Setup. You will not need to call DirecTV to reactivate. Specifying the correct 3-LNB dish type should not be a big deal.

3. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    (Mostly) Success!

It completed, I set it all up again, and everything seemed good. Then I went back into the area that was giving me the hangups before -- Now Playing -- and it showed "No Programs" (or words to that effect). That was accurate, and then I tried to back out of there and I was frozen again. The background images moved around once in a while, at the same time I could hear the drive doing its accesses. No other key presses worked.

Eventually, I powered down/powered up to reboot. Once it came up again, I tried various other menus and they worked fine and quickly. So, I tried something different: I recorded one channel and then I went to another channel and recorded it too. Then I went to Now Playing. I was excited when it showed the two programs being recorded. However, when I Selected one of them, the unit got stuck again.

Any idea why after all this, I would still have a problem in just this one area? Maybe it's possible that since the tivo is likely busy downloading program information right now it's too much for it to handle at the monent, but I doubt it given the other menus are very, very quick.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd say this is a hard drive failure. You can get a replacement from one of the forum sponsors. You'll need the exact model that you have, I doubt it is an R10 as they haven't been around for 7-8 years. Probably an HDVRx.

5. mfleming

mfleming New Member

Mar 26, 2004

Advertisements

Well, I just checked it again and same thing, right at the Now Playing. Seems like if it was a hard drive problem nothing else would work. Instead, everything else works great. But, maybe just the sector that the Now Playing module of the software resides on is corrupted. Too bad I can't use a disk utility to repair the disk or something like that.

So, the model is a Philips DSR6000R01, a real oldie. If someone sells a replacement disk, does it come with the Tivo software already installed on it, or do I need to get an image of the software on it myself?

And, would the best thing be to just order the disk replacement, or to buy a new, newer model unit? If so, what is recommended? I i get a new unit is there a big hassle with DTV, or jus a simple call to tell them I have a new unit? I don't need the HiDef unit as I remember something about if I were to go that route I'd somehow lose my east coast/west coast setup I had -- don't remember the details, just that there was going to be a problem.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Disk repair utilities like SpinRite might work, but are not cost-effective. Best to just replace the drive. You can buy pre-imaged drives from sources like Weaknees and 9th Tee that are already properly formatted to just swap into your Tivo.

You won't be able to get new Tivo-based DVRs from DirecTV anymore.