Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by debtoine, Jul 14, 2007.

1. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ

Advertisements

We are canceling DirecTV. Will the HDTiVo still work for OTA, without service?

Thanks,

Toine

2. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I'm positive you'll lose guide data, but you may be able to still use it for an ATSC tuner.

More knowlegeable heads will be here soon.

;)

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Jon J. is correct .... Guide Data is delivered via satellite, so without a subscription you'll lose that information. But you can still tune OTA channels.

4. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    That's not my experience or understanding.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

But it is true, nonetheless. The guide data won't be instantly lost, but no new data will arrive. Also, recording will be disabled (the 30-minute buffer will still work.)

6. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    On what do you base this statement?

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    How do you think it works?

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    "Question" is a great name for a thread. Everyone should name new threads the same way.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yeah, it's a bit less descriptive than "newbie question". :)

10. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I suggest the next thread simply have the topic "?".

;)

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    How about the fact that my DirecTiVos haven't been connected to a phone line in a year and a half and still get guide data?

Maybe you think that the DTiVo will pick up program information from the OTA signals? That does tell you what show is on that channel NOW (usually) but doesn't contain info about the future or on other channels.

12. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I know how it works for my setup, but mine is different from stock systems, and I lose track of "how it works."

Some folks don't disconnect their sat feeds when deactivating service. Others don't connect the sat feeds with an inactive card inserted to fill up the guide data (and then disconnect the feeds, swap in their other card for which the DVR tier has not yet expired, and record OTA). Still others don't disassemble tivoapp and devise interesting patches.

So indulge my failing memory, how do you think it works? ;)

13. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    No argument that guide data arrives via the SDD, but what makes you think that a year and half after canceling service your DirecTiVos won't still get guide data? That's all I was asking.
    I don't think they do read PSIP (as far as I know, atscapp doesn't bother with that). I was simply asking what evidence you had that the guide data would "stop," once service was canceled.

14. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    He's right in that in all cases the guide data goes away eventually. I've had a couple that did get new data even without service, for quite a long time, but sooner or later ...

15. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    How long is a long time? Did this span an access card generation?

16. louiemanno

louiemanno New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I have both basic cable and direct TV… On the Direct TV with TiVo box the RF input does not recognize cable…So without Direct TV Service I think the box is worthless. I recommend that you sell it on ebay- you could probably get 50 to 75 bucks for it.

Louie

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    When I deactivated my old Hughes E-86 the guide was immediately wiped. It's not a DVR so a DVR might keep the guide data for a couple weeks but will eventually run out.

18. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I was told that my E-86 could not use the PSIP guide data broadcast by OTA digital stations.

Can you confirm that with your experience?

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    That is correct (I think). PSIP data *is* used to map the stations properly but it's not used for actual guide data. Now it could be that none of my local stations use PSIP for guide data and that wouldn't surprise me at all so maybe PSIP guide data works, but I don't really know. But when a station has had to change it's frequency assignment and thus changed the PSIP data stream you have to rescan for OTA channels to pick it up again.

I used the E-86 as OTA only for a while and have just recently unhooked it. But I can always fire it back up as an OTA only receiver if needed say during the fall network season.

20. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Thank you.

When we got our 2nd HD TiVo, the E-86 went into retirement, so it is not handy to pull out and test right now. I did try to use it for a time in our RV but the RF part of the remote seemed to want to control the built-in stereo system (cheapie provided by RV manufacturer) and it was too annoying to use.

I did like the flexibility of the E-86 with 4x3 TVs in terms of letterbox or pan and scan. It seems many newer units are lacking in that regard.