Question: Tuner quality degradation in the S4E ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I know when you use a cable splitter, depending on how many splits it has the quality of the signal can degrade. Well, this got me to thinking... has anyone noticed any sort of degradation in the quality of the signal on any of the Elites tuners since the signal is effectively being split four ways.

2. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    The cable feeding my Elite is split twice before getting to it: Once outside my house from the main feed (1-to-5 splitter for other outlets), and once more so it can also feed a cable modem. It's also going through a Tuning Adapter, which can probably count as an additional split. I don't see any signal quality issues. I originally had my Series3 (OLED model) on the same connection before getting the Elite and didn't have any issues with it either.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The problem isn't with strong signals, but with weaker ones that are still considered GOOD strength. So it would be more helpful to hear from folks who have those stations that the old S3 platforms pulled in reliably that the S4 platforms (at least the Premier and Premier XL's) couldn't and how the Elite performs in such situations.

The difference in signal strength readings comparing an S3 platform and a Premiere can be STAGGERING on some channels. And I mean I have them hooked up to the same antenna and amp and the same AV receiver and the same HDTV. The difference and worse performance of the Premiere for OTA's is real. However, if all signals are very strong, then less likely for the Premiere to have problems locking on.

4. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Speaking on the note of signal strength, so far it all looks good for me using the signal strength thing in the TiVo.