Question - Tivo Update: Problem deleting shows?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by HyperionX, Dec 12, 2011.

1. HyperionX

HyperionX Back after 8 years

Dec 30, 2002
    Bucks, UK

Advertisements

Just thought I would ask but is anyone else having problems deleting shows since the update...?

Since the update - which I mostly like - I've noticed that if I delete a show unless I stay on the same page until it disappears (and that can be a long time), the show is not deleted even though it's marked for deletion.

Removing a show can take several attempts. :confused:

Pre-update deleting a show took place regardless of whether or not I stayed on the same page.:confused:

For the record, my Tivo is a plain vanilla VM 1TB Tivo with the "last update" which fixed the PIN pain.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Programme deletion is something that has changed (or been broken) depending on your POV ;)

You can now only delete a recording by either:

1. Pressing 'Stop' first

or

B. Being within 5 mins of the end when you press 'Back'

The latter option hasn't changed. Only the former has.

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Whenever you delete a show it actually only marks it for deletion.

Usually TiVo is able to delete the show within a second - but for some reason requires the network connection to be fully active to do this.

It it has a temporary problem with the network, the show will remain in MyShows but marked for deletion.

4. HyperionX

Dec 30, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Thanks Carl and OzSat.

I think it's the new requirement to press "Stop" that may be causing part of the problem.

If I take into account padding, I rarely press Stop first, just press Back and then Delete.

Nonetheless, there still seems to be some lag on deleting shows even taking this into account. Shows that I have deleted still appear even after I've moved back to live tv.

Any way just a (minor) change in behaviour until the next update.:)

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...

Advertisements

There always has been a lag and it's really annoying :mad: I have never had anything re-appear though :confused:

6. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

Jan 31, 2011
    London
    Can you not delete by just pressing the "Clear" button?:confused:

7. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Yes. thats been how I delete all the time. Especially handy as you can delete a whole folder full of SCD that SWMBO forgets to delete after watching and wonders why the Tivo is showing 98% full.

8. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    Unfortunately, now, sometimes when you press Clear, the X appears next to the programme for a while, but the programme doesn't disappear. Usually, going into another programme and back out, and trying Clear again fixes it.

Quite annoying, but not a disaster.

9. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

Jan 31, 2011
    London
    I'm sure it must very irritating but I have never experienced this problem on any of my three Tivos!:rolleyes:

10. HyperionX

Dec 30, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Zaichik - has it right a little annoying but not the end of the world.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

Thanks for the information.

11. Big Al

Big Al New Member

Dec 3, 2002
    London
    I'm currently enjoying an issue with deleting shows. If I delete 1 of a number of programmes in a folder, then the entire folder disappears !!!!!!

If I undelete the programme, then the group and all programmes reappear.

It's not really a big deal, but did cause the kids to shout when all their Simpons disappeared. :)

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes, but only under the conditions mentioned. Sorry for the confusion :D
    Not if you follow my instructions :)

13. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    This happens when the other episodes are recorded as suggestions.

14. sxb

sxb New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Ruislip, NW...
    Definitely a bug - The newly introduced method of pressing STOP now works perfectly though!.
    Basically, if you exit a recording by 'backing out' (age old Tivo technique), its as though it becomes write protected, so can't be deleted by any means. Only exception is in the last 5 mins (when you get the delete/keep pop-up) where it worts as expected. OP, or jump to the end before exiting (thus trigger the keep/delete screen)
    I guess when they introduced the Stop option they didn't check the original method still worked!

Something else I noticed is that if you delete suggested recordings, then change your mind and undelete them, they come back as regular recordings (thats not really a problem though, more a minor quirk).