Question regarding connection of TiVo Stream

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lsims, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lsims

lsims New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Florence, SC

Advertisements

I have a TiVo Premiere XL and can download shows to my computer through cTiVo, but I am trying to find a way to download shows when I am not near my home network. I was looking at purchasing a TiVo Stream from a third party - when I called TiVo Customer Support, the person said that I would be able to connect the Stream to my router with an Ethernet cable and it would work, even though my TiVo is in a different room from my router and connects to my home network with a wireless N adapter. The person selling the Stream posted that the Stream requires a wired Ethernet or TiVo Bridge connection between my DVR and home network (TiVo Stream does not support a wirelessly connected box). Which person is correct?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Surprise, surprise, TiVo Support was ... wrong, at least officially speaking. Both the Stream and the DVR from which it would be streaming content officially require wired network connections, either Ethernet or MoCA (and Powerline doesn't count, as far as official support).

That said, the devices don't have a test to verify how they're physically connected, so it's possible the Wireless N adapter would work; otherwise, you may be able to use some other wireless bridge at the DVR to improve the bandwidth. (e.g. see this recent post)

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Stream works only to download shows to a mobile device (phone, tablet,etc.) or to the PC via online.tivo.com.

To download shows to a laptop/PC elsewhere from outside of your network, you can use KMTTG and have port forwarding set on your router.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They are both correct. Stream needs a hard wired connection with ethernet. The seller's indication is really a way to fool the Stream to think its hard wired, while in essence it is working wirelessly.

5. lsims

lsims New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Florence, SC

Advertisements

UPDATE to this thread: Thanks for all of the responses! I bought a TiVo Stream - I haven't tried it away from home yet, but it worked perfectly when I connected it to my router only and used the TiVo app on my iPhone and iPad. Evidently my N Adapter connection is to the Ethernet port in the back of the TiVo, so I believe it is acting as a "baby wifi client" and making my TiVo Stream think that everything is going through an Ethernet connection rather than wirelessly :) So now I can download shows to my computer if I'm at home (through cTiVo) or download to my iPhone/iPad if I am away from home (through the TiVo app and using my TiVo Stream).

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can test Out of Home simply by turning off the wifi on your iPhone and using just your mobile data (or connect to a wifi hotspot.) You do not need to leave your home to do this.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo stream is great for use on the LAN or transferring recordings onto a mobile device (well, at least content that allows the transfer). TiVo has ended the TiVo app for Fire TV, which is unfortunate because while it was not great, it did work well enough. TiVo has hinted they will have a replacement for that app, but we'll see. However, I would get a Slingbox while you still can because TiVo Stream can be very unreliable for OOH streaming, as is DishAnywhere, for that matter. My Slingbox always comes to the rescue. And BTW, Slingbox can stream ALL the content, even the content Stream can't because of CC Flag, but you must use Component (or composite, but that is SD) output to have all content stream OOH, not HDMI out.