Question re Tivo Desktop / iTunes

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sw10025, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 17
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Someone mentioned TivoDesktop on another forum, and since this was the first I have heard of it, I immediately downloaded it and have been using it to transfer videos from my two series 2 (yes, series 2) machines to my PC.

I'm wondering, is there any way I can edit these videos, either the versions through the Tivo desktop program, or if I upgrade to the plus software the versions it converts for itunes, so I could delete the commercials? I really, really hate commercials, and don't want to waste space on commercials.

The DVR I used to use to delete them and burn my programming to DVD-Rs just died a week ago, and I was thinking of replacing it with a video capture device so I could edit out the commercials on my PC and burn from my PC to DVD-Rs, but was thinking that since the Tivo Desktop gets the video to my PC, maybe I could forego the external TV tuner / video capture device and use the Tivo desktop instead.

Is this even possible? And if it is possible, what video editting program should I use? The only thing I have on my computer is the Windows Movie Maker software, but I'd consider getting something else if it would actually work...

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 17
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use VideoReDo TVSuite to edit my videos from the Tivo and to burn to DVD. Its more accurate then even MovieMaker. Its so accurate, I can edit out just 1 frame if I wanted to.

3. Nov 4, 2011 #3 of 17
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    VideoReDo is an excellent solution I have been very happy with it.

I use KMTTG to automate the downloading converting etc.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #4 of 17
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Okay, but I'd want the VideoReDo Suite with H.264, right? Forgive my ignorance, I am trying to learn, but isn't that the format that iTunes videos are recorded/converted into?

5. Nov 4, 2011 #5 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Just so you know, there is a forum here dedicated to Tivo Desktop and similar alternative programs, file conversion, editing, etc: (click link below)

TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo Forum

6. Nov 4, 2011 #6 of 17
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Oh I'm so sorry, I even looked before I posted the question here, but I didn't get that TivoToGo and Home Media Features would include Desktop, I thought they were separate programs I was going to have to check out. Would one of the moderators be so kind as to move this thread to the proper forum? (It doesn't look like I can move it myself.)

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 17
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That is the version that is most versatile in that it lets you convert your video to many other formats that you can use to transfer to your portable device of choice.

If all you want to do is take your Tivo videos and burn them to a DVD, then all you need is VideoReDo TV Suite. It's not as expensive as VRD with H.264.

BTW, if you're the type that likes to save MANY shows to DVD, VideoReDo is well worth the investment. They have excellent support and constantly strive to improve the product (unlike TiVo :p).

VRD support forum:
    http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry if my comment came across as scolding. I just wanted to let you know that there is a lot of info on what you will probably be wanting to know, in that forum.

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 17
    sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Not at all. My bad. I looked quickly at the list of forums, didn't really give it a second thought, and should have looked a little further before deciding where to post. I should have known better. And I'm more likely to get more info if I actually post in the right forum...

10. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Well to be fair to Tivo, Tivo is the best thing I have ever bought, hands down. I bought my first Tivo in 2000, I bought my two Series2 Tivos in 2000 as well, and they are still working in 2011, I'm just replacing the HDs for the first time now, there are few electronic devices that the same could be said of in terms of durability. And I love my Tivo even more today, than I did when I bought it.

I went ahead and bought VideoReDo, so far it looks great. Its intuitive enough that I was able to edit out the commercials without reading any instructions. But I have two questions: the VideoReDo program won't let me save the editted version as the original program name, so I put the copy in the "My Tivo Recordings" file under a different name. Am I safe in deleting the original once I've saved the editted version into the "My Tivo Recordings" folder? Also, it seems like in the editted version, FFing has been disabled, every time I try to move the little "seek" bar forward to a new point in the recording, Windows Media Player crashes -- is that normal, am I doing something wrong? (Thats unfortunate, if it has to stay that way.)

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can't save to the same file name because we're still reading from that file while outputting the new one. However if you save to the TiVo format then it doesn't really matter what the file name is because the program name is stored in the metadata.

Dan

12. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think you can FF with WMP. Some other media players can, but some cannot play Tivo files.

13. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    No, I can use the "seek" bar and FF icons to go forward in the original version of the video that was transferred from the Tivo, but I can't even attempt the FF function in the editted copy, and if I try to use the "seek" function, either to move forward or backward, it fails and WMP crashes. :confused:

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you saving the file from VideoReDo as a .tivo or as a regular .mpg? If you're saving to .mpg then WMP might be using a different codec. The ability to seek and FF in WMP is completely dependent on the codec it chooses to play the file. If you have multiple codecs installed on your system for MPEG-2 WMP will sometimes choose a different one when playing .tivo files then it does when playing .mpg files. I have no idea why. The logic behind codecs in WMP is pretty convoluted.

If these are .mpg files you should try playing them in VLC it should offer the ability to seek and FF.

Dan

15. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    It would seem that VideoReDo is automatically saving all these programs as .tivo and I haven't tried saving them as anything else. Also haven't tried converting them to iTunes/iPod format yet either. Maybe I should see if I can get something other than WMP to play the .tivo files, or if I can convert them to .mpg as you suggested.

What's VLC? Its probably something very obvious that I will be very embarrassed I couldn't think of, but I'll go ahead and ask... :confused:

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  17. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007