Question re: Network channels in HD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AWAHOO, Jan 3, 2006.

1. AWAHOO

AWAHOO New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Emporia, VA

Advertisements

I just got the HD programming from DirecTv along with my HD TiVo. The CSR with DirecTv applied for a waiver from my local channels for me, and I was granted the waiver from my local ABC and NBC channels, but not FOX and CBS. Is there any appeal from this?

I am 65 miles south of Richmond, VA and can get nothing with the OTA HD antenna that DirecTv installed for me, so unless granted the waiver I can get nothing from FOX and CBS. At this distance, I doubt that any antenna will get the Richmond locals, so can anyone explain why ALL the locals did not grant the waiver?

I hope this is the right forum for my question.

2. jmarks2001

jmarks2001 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    Not to hijack your thread, but I have another HD-Network related question.

If I'm in the NY area and already receiving NY locals through DTV, do I need to subscribe to the HD Pak in order to get them in HD? Or is the HD Pak just for ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, HDNet, etc.?

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    For Jim's question - each local station has its own policies on waivers. Those that are "owned and operated" (O&O) by the networks are more likely to say yes, but this is not a guarantee. Many local stations would rather you continue to watch them (in SD, or with an antenna) than lose you to a distant station. You can try contacting the local station yourself, but don't get your hopes up. They may also tell you that now that DirecTV is offering HD locals (on the MPEG4 satellites), there's no need for waivers. That you can't get them with an HR10 is of no concern to them.

jmarks, your question has two parts:

1. You do need to subscribe to the HD package to get the "HD distant networks".
    2. If you're in NY, HD locals are (I think) available from the MPEG4 sats, for what good that does you with an HD-DTiVo.

4. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    You don't need the HD pack. If your locals are NYC locals, you'll get the big 4 nets in Digtial/HD in mpeg-2 with the HR10-250.

With Mpeg-4 technology (non-TiVo) you can also get PBS. Next year they're supposed to add WB and UPN in mpeg-4.