question re: lifetime certificate purchased with TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jshorr, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005

Advertisements

Good Evening,

Quick question someone must have the answer to. I am going to be purchasing a S2 TiVo with lifetime certificate from a friend of a friend who got it as a gift, doesn't want it and never opened it. Is the code in any way tied to that particular box, or can I use it down the road on a S3 ;) . I've heard rumors in the past that they were actually tied together but that isn't true, is it?

Also something I'm wondering about, when I was on the phone with a TiVo CSR the other day he told me that the lifetime subscription codes will actually not ever expire, because in at least one state (I think he said Nevada) it's a law that gift certificates never expire or go down in value. So rather than have different expirations for different codes for different states they won't really expire.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Your gift card is no good. Send it to me for proper disposal.

3. gorba916

gorba916 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    jshorr I'm not sure if this relates to your situation but TiVoPony (their Product Marketing) posted this. Basically you have until the 15th of this month to activate that lifetime subscription. Except I believe you have to do this over the phone. So if your friend wants to sell you his TiVo with lifetime sub he should probably do it TODAY.

I think TiVo is in their legal right to have different restrictions state-to-state. Yes it's probably okay for TiVo owners in Nevada but for the rest of us in other states they can probably kill the lifetime subscription.

Makes you wonder how well they're financially doing if they have to kill the lifetime service... ?

4. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    LOL, very helpful.

One other question I would like to add is, if you have a subscription certificate but don't know the original date of purchase is it even possible to call up and find out when it needs to be activated by, if there is such a real expiration date.

5. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005

Advertisements

Whoah, I thought all gift cards/certificates would remain valid and are good for 2 years from purchase?

6. gorba916

gorba916 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
  7. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Cool. I also see

" Expiration date does not apply in California, Connecticut, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Washington, and where expiration date may be extended by law. Applies in New Hampshire only for gift subscriptions over $100."

But NY is not on there. I wonder if without being the original purchaser I can find out what the expiration date is. I probably can call TiVo but it might take a few escalations, it seems like 1st level support has lost the tools to look up or activate lifetime subscriptions

8. gorba916

gorba916 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    1st level support has lost the tools...

That's not all they've lost. :p