Question on Transferring Between Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by taomaster99, Mar 31, 2008.

1. taomaster99

taomaster99 New Member

Jul 25, 2007

Advertisements

A little info before the question, I have a series 2d and a tivo hd communicating through my router (not ad-hoc). I can see all devices fine including my pc but every so often when i try to transfer shows from my series 2 to the HD the transfer will start but after a few minutes it stops. Now if I look in the Tivo HD there is no transfer BUT the blue light is on like something is still coming over.

I don't have a alot of content on the tivo HD (a couple of HD recordings and maybe 3 or 4 other standard recrodings) BUT I do (or did since I cleared everything now) have the deleted folder filled with about 20 or so shows (HD and standard).

SO my questions is does the Tivo HD still see my drive as full/or about full cause of all the deletes? I know with recordings the Tivo will just automatically get rid of anything in the deleted folder but I wasn't sure if this was the same for transfers (I would think it would but you never know).

Any thoughts? thanks

2. taomaster99

taomaster99 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    anyone?

3. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    wired or wireless network?

4. taomaster99

taomaster99 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Wireless network, Tivo HD is wireless and the Series 2 is wired straight into my router. Also the only way, at least the only way I know right now, to clear that blue light after this happens is to restart the Tivo HD. I'm unable to transfer anything after this happens until I restart the Tivo. I've tried just restarting the series 2 but that didn't seem to do anything.

So far this seems to only happen with a transfer to one tivo to another, any transfers from/to my PC work fine, although I haven't done alot of transfers from the PC to TIVO but the ones I've done have never had a problem.

5. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida

Advertisements

Your tivo isn't full unless you mark shows to keep until I delete it will delete off shows when space is needed so that isn't the problem. A more likely possibility is a weak wifi signal. If your tivo is in a cabinet and you have a wifi usb dongle plugged directly in the back of your tivo you are setting yourself up for signal issues. If you can temporarily try a wired connection and see if that fixes the problem. If it does fix the problem conider permanently using a wired connection. If that isn't an option, your solutions for best wireless signal from best to worst are:

1. Get a wireless AP for your tivo and bridge it to your router (gets the ant up and out of the way for best signal).
    2. Get a USB extension cable and move the wireless dongle up and out of the way for best signal
    3. Move your tivo to a better location

An AP has better power, better antennae, and can be better positioned than a dongle. So that is the best wireless option. If you can't afford one or have problems connecting the bridge get a USB extension cable and at least get the dongle (and by definition its antennae) to a more advantageous location.

Wired is ALWAYS the best choice for network speed and stability.