1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on the tivo ota roamio unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sxmfan2018, Aug 31, 2018.

1. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    i am wondering if there's a mini tivo that works with the tivo roamio OTA

2. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
  3. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    ok ok i guess i want the tivo vox mini since the subscription is included in the price

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That applies to all Mini units now. If you want 4k ability and a quicker unit, then the VOX is your logical choice. If you have a Roamio on Hydra (TE4), then the Mini VOX will have the same remote. It's good you are asking questions.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe all Minis have service included, now, though there may be some hoops to jump through for older Minis purchased via a third party (e.g. via eBay).

6. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I was curious what the cost of converting an older mini to lifetime was if it was sold without it. Same for the Roamio OTA.

7. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The simplest setup is to use an ethernet cable to connect the mini to the network. If the mini is in a location that can't easily connect with ethernet, but has coax access, then you can use a MoCA adapter near your router to create a MoCA network. The Roamio OTA does not have built-in MoCA support.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think Tivo would convert the mini to lifetime service for free. If the OTA has been in service for a few years, then you should get an offer for $199-lifetime service.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "may" (though paying/charging retail All-In/Lifetime service on a Roamio OTA would be insane, since the devices cost less than the regular All-In service charge; so, yeah, it's definitely "should" from a customer perspective; I just wouldn't to into the call assuming it will be offered right up; you may need to play some support roulette)

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It was reported that those early Minis that didn't come with lifetime service would get it automatically if unsubscribed, waiting a period of time and subscribing again after TiVo started including lifetime with new Minis, but I thought I saw a post relatively recently where someone had purchased one used that didn't have lifetime and they had to pay the $50 fee. I'd probably factor that into what I would pay for one of the early ones (V1 only?) to be safe.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Yes I agree. I was thinking the person I responded to already had the mini and Roamio on on their account and had been paying a monthly fee for years. A coworker was in a similar situation and I told them to just call and ask for the $99/$199 lifetime service and they didn't have any trouble getting the deal.

On the other hand, I added a Premiere without service to my account a few years ago and had to negotiate like I was buying a car to get the $99 lifetime deal.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. CodeButcher

CodeButcher New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I'm considering getting a Tivo Mini as well. I assume the Mini uses the subscription of the Main DVR, so if the Main DVR had a Lifetime sub the Mini should work without paying for a subscription on the Mini. Correct me if I'm wrong.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All Mini units have All-In since several years ago. There is no periodic payment option for a Mini even if the host doesn't have All-In.