Question on connecting an external hard drive movie collection to the Tivo Stream 4K?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by omelet1978, May 19, 2020.

1. omelet1978

omelet1978 Active Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I have a 2TB movie collection that I've built up over time and would like to hook it up to the Tivo Stream 4k via the USB C Port on the device.

I don't have an extra computer to set up Plex as of now and don't particularly want to set up a NAS (simpler for me is better). When I've tried to connect a portable hard drive to the Tivo Stream 4K, it re-formatted the drive to FAT 32 and then did not show the drive after that. From doing a bit of research one reviewer stated the most he could connect was a 128gb flash drive but just thought I'd check on here if anyone had any better luck?

Thanks in advance.

2. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    This guy did a tutorial on how he added 400 gb.

3. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I connected an old 1.5TB external 3.5" drive in an enclosure to the TiVo Stream 4K using a USB-C to USB adapter and it works great. The drive is plugged into to wall for power.

I also tried a small USB powered 2.5" Passport drive but it didn't see it or is was underpowered.

4. omelet1978

omelet1978 Active Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Are you able to add movie files to that drive with a Mac by any chance or is it now part of the Tivo hard drive?

Mine hard drive did not have a power cord and was just a USB drive so that might make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk