Question on buying Tivo HD in middle of 3-year plan

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atomarchio, Jul 28, 2007.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Last October, I bought Tivo Series 2 DT and did the 3-year package at $299 which I paid upfront and it included both the box and 3-years of service.

I also have a 2nd Tivo Series which I bought at Target and pay $6.95 per month for the the service.

However, I would now like to buy the new HD Tivo for $299 but how would that work? Would I stil receive a credit for the unused portion of my current 3-year package?

Or will they force me to pay the full $299?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    If you want to stop using your S2DT, you can transfer the service from it onto your THD with no problem. Your S2DT would stop working, and your THD would work for the next 2 years and change (until OCT 2009).

It won't count as a "new activation" so if there were a rebate you wouldn't get it, but that isn't an issue with the THD at this point.

If you want to keep the S2DT working you can get the same $6.95 on the THD.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I understand that.

My question is, what would it cost to make the switch to Tivo HD? Do I have to pay the entire $299 still?

If it's pro-rated, how does that work?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You just need to pay the retail price on the new DVR.

You pay nothing more, but end up with a service-less S2DT. The service until Oct 2009, is paid for already.

There is no credits or pro-rating or anything like that. The 3-year commitment on the S2DT is simply applied to the new TiVo.

5. usnret

usnret New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NW Ohio
    Could he replace his "2nd Tivo series", that he is paying $6.95 for, with the Tivo HD and still pay the $6.95?? That is if he doesn't purchase the Tivo HD from Tivo, but from say CC.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes.

If you have any existing pre-paid or month-to-month plan on an existing box and want to move that to a new Tivo HD:

1) Buy the Tivo HD from anywhere other than tivo.com
    2) log on to manage my account and select "Change service number" on the left navigation bar
    3) Under Choose a DVR, select the Tivo you want to move the service agreement from
    4) Enter the TSN of the new Tivo HD box.
    5) Select CHANGE

Service on your old Tivo will stop, and your new TivoHD will have the service under the terms the old box had.

7. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I'd recommend calling Tivo and asking. The kicker is you got the "package deal" from Tivo. They may or may not let you separate the service from the box if you indeed bought the package directly from Tivo.

I could be wrong. But asking Tivo should quell all doubts.

8. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It's a lot easier to do it yourself online ... :)

I had a DT package and transfered service to another box with no problem.

I wouldn't call Tivo and play CSR roulette unless you have a problem with MMA.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this is the right answer. everyone was replying like he had the 299$ prepaid subscription but it was a deal for 299$ for 3 yrs and a "FREE" DVR. I do not think that can be transferred.

OP - that was a special deal. There is no such deal on the TiVo HD. It costs 299$ and then you pay for service in various ways. You would qualify for MSD rate on it.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    What's the difference? I'll bet he can transfer the service just fine. Tivo doesn't care about the box, only the subscription (and I can't imagine the have a special category for this offer when they don't for any of the other ones.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I doubt Tivo.com makes that distinction. It's easy to figure out. Just log into the tivo.com account and see if it gives you the option to change the TSN.

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Good point. That is indeed the deciding factor.

All IA mreferring to is some bundle deals apply to the box but then I have never swithced a TSN on my bundles.