Question from a UK Tivo owner

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by John McE, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1 of 11
    John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    When the Tivo Premier was first released in the States I remember complaints about it being so much slower that the older Tivos (I myself lived in the States when the first Tivo was released, and it was very responsive from the start).

Over here in the UK we are finally able to but Tivo again, after a gap of nearly 10 years, and the VirginTivo, as it is known here, is supposedly based on the US premier, using Flash for instance... but it is dreadfully slow at performing some basic tasks.

My question is, did the US version speed up after a few software updates, or is it still much less responsive that the earlier models?

2. Sep 4, 2011 #2 of 11
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Many of us use the SD menus. The HD menus are painfully slow. After the first few updates I tried to switch to HD and saw no improvement. I haven't bothered to try again. Everyone in my house is used to the SD menus now and switching would just frustrate them.

3. Sep 4, 2011 #3 of 11
    John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Hi, thanks for that. Unfortunately, on our version, there is no option to switch between HD and SD menus - I would say most are in HD, but a few are not.

I was hoping you'd say that it got much quicker once the initial bugs were worked out. But I am surprised I haven't read of mass dissatisfaction with the latest US Tivos then, as it was so good when it first came out, and frankly, they seem to be going backwards rather than forwards.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #4 of 11
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There are many complaints all over this forum about The Premiere. I have been a Tivo owner since 2000 and I've never seen so much disappointment in one of their products.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #5 of 11
    John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    So is there any sign that it will be replaced by a faster model? I understand the reason for the slow down was due to Flash being used, whereas the original used Linux.

You'd think Tivo might have had a rethink by now if there is that much dissatisfaction.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #6 of 11
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    The HD UI is flash-based, but the underlying operating system is still Linux. The SD UI uses some other display tool kit, which TiVo felt was less flexible.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #7 of 11
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The HDUI is quick, but not instantaneous. I occasionally go back to SDUI, but 98% of the time, I use the HDUI.

8. Sep 6, 2011 #8 of 11
    John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    And does the "Series 3" HD version suffer from the same slowness, or did they manage to fix it for that?

9. Sep 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    acer

acer New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    yes the speed has improved with subsequent software updates where it is now very useable...but of course still slower than the SD menus but the HDUI interface is much nicer and more informative in the tv programming...

When the premiere was first installed it was painfully slow and the blue circle would always display to show an action is processing.. now the blue circle is gone but the actions are still not mostly instantaneous but vey much manageable...

10. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Over here, Virgin insisted on using their color (red), so we refer to the red doughnut of death (sorry, donut). Compared to the wonderful, relaxed, blue US Tivo screens, our screens match the rage that most users experience using the machine.

And I think Virgin is so keen on pushing customers to buy content, that they probably asked for the SD menu option to be made unavailable to us, so we couldn't opt out of seeing their endless stream of "recommendations", which are so useless that on the rare occasions they list a program that you would actually like to view, it's like winning the lottery. Most of them have "we love it, so we think you will too" next to them!!!

Oddly enough though, although we can't switch between HD and SD menus, certain menu options do display in SD - the "Recording Hiccups" as it is called here is lo-def, and although I only vaguely notice it, many others here hate the unexpected switch to SD on certain menu screens.

The other major problem at the moment is Virgin are using Tribune to provide the guide date (which I assume is the same company that provides the US guide date), and they are simply clueless about many aspects of UK programming, so for instance our season passes for the new Doctor Who series wasn't going to record last Saturday's episode until it was pointed out to them, because they thought it was an original series episode. It's been explained to us that if the "original transmission date" is entered wrongly (and a large proportion are), then that will affect whether the Tivo thinks it is a new episode or a repeat.

I've been a Tivo advocate from the first day it went on sale, but quite frankly, unless Virgin and Tivo sort things out quickly, I think a lot of us will defect to another service provider.

11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Yes, Original Air Date can be a problem over here, too. My local news has a date back in 2007. I assume that the station provides Tribune with program data, and someone at the station thinks it means the date when the series was first shown (digitally maybe, since we've had news longer than that). Of course, Original Air Date is the date that this particular episode first aired, which in the case of a news show should always be the current date. Garbage in, garbage out.