question for those of you using phone lines to connect

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Reagan2, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Reagan2

Reagan2 New Member

Mar 27, 2011

Advertisements

If you connect your Premiere using a phone line, is there any loss in functionality? By that, I mean do you lose the ability to use Netflix or Youtube? Are you stuck with the SD menus, or can you use the HD menu if you want?

Thanks!

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    All of the features you mention require a broadband connection.

3. Reagan2

Reagan2 New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks, scandia.

Netflix and Youtube are not unexpected, but broadband being necessary for the HD menu is a bit of a surprise.

-R

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It downloads images and such for the discovery bar. The little show summaries and thumbnails that appear on the right side of the 'now playing' list look like they're also fetched on demand.

From problem reports here, the HD menu not only requires broadband, but also particularly stable broadband to function reliably. I haven't had any issues, but I have rock-solid internet service. Not everyone seems as lucky.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

The Premiere does not include a modem inside, so to use a phone line, you have to go to tivo.com/store and order the phone line USB dongle. This item is kind of pointless as functions are quite limited.

6. Reagan2

Reagan2 New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks again for the information, everyone.

-R

7. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It's good if you don't have high speed internet at home. Yes, there ARE places that still only have access to dial-up. Only problem is these areas are rural, so the daily call is likely to be a toll call.