Question for anyone regarding using 3.5" drive external to Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, Sep 9, 2019.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    once you've formatted and gone through guided setup on the new drive, can you do this with yet another drive and then come back to the original drive and be good to go immediately?? Logic would say yes, but I wanted to check

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think you can swap back and forth if that's what you're hoping for. The information about what's on the drive is stored on some flash RAM attached to the MOBO so when you swap drives you have to go through the whole reformat process which wipes out the shows and forces you to repeat guided setup.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks Dan. If I have the patience to go through multiple guided setups, I'll confirm.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Dan's right. It works on a Roamio but not a Bolt because they moved the SQLite partition to flash memory on Bolts.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks, I won’t bother trying then. Going through guided set up is a pain. Redoing channels, setting up streaming passwords again, etc.

Oh, what about cable card pair? So far with the new hdd everything is working although yesterday a few cable card screens popped up. Today no problems.

Whoops, spoke too soon. Some problems on premiums.

6. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If a cable card is ACTIVATED you will get a lot of channels. But none of the premiums and a few others until it is paired again. You can never really swap drives on a Bolt and keep what is on either drive. Unless both drives are exact clones. Once something changes on either and you start swapping you will pretty much lose everything, even on the "original".

By the way external 3.5 works great with a Bolt (at least so far). Using MB connection and power in the external enclosure. Very easy to do 8TB if starting from scratch (with MFSR), can do up to 14TB if you use the updated MFSTools.

Though you cannot keep a copy of a Bolt drive there is a precaution you can take. Maybe every couple years CLONE your drive to a NEW drive of the same size (must be an EXACT clone). Then start using the new clone. Don't bother keeping the original as a backup, it won't work once anything changes on the "new" drive (once the new/clone drive is in there never swap again unless you do another exact clone of the current drive). This can be done with any Bolt really, including ones with internal 2.5s. Again just make sure you do an exact CLONE and never swap drives again unless you do another EXACT clone of the drive currently in the Bolt.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks, good advice. Still haven't decided on drive size yet.

As an aside, I thought it would be easy to get the card re-paired so I tried to pair with the drive I am using now. Spectrum fail! I'll just limp along until I get the drive I want to use and try again.