Question after successful upgrade...

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by TXTivoUser, Sep 6, 2007.

1. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas

Advertisements

Got my HD in yesterday, plugged them both in to my Vista box and did the backup and the mfscopy and all went well.

I just used the quick start guide and left the custom Linux swap at 128, however I thought about changing it to 256.

What exactly does that get me? I know what a swap file is, but does the machine spend that much time swapping?

I guess it'd be nice to know how much RAM the box has in it and to be able to get some performance stats over a typical day to see how the CPU and RAM are handling the load.

Overall, it couldn't have been easier unless Spike came over and did it for me. You're welcome by any time Spike - beers are on me.

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    From reading this forum and from upgrading my own TiVos, it seems that the swap file is used for recovery from a GSOD (Green Screen of Death) and to apply a software update when it is pushed out to the TiVos.

I had a Pioneer with a 320GB drive which I upgraded with the older mfstools available from weaknees. I didn't have the right size swap file and when I got 7.2.0 (I think), my TiVo went into a reboot loop. The TiVo guys asked me if I had upgraded my drive and suggested increasing the swap file. The recommended swap file size is about 1MB for every 2GB of drive space, or in my case 160MB of swap. I re-imaged my drive with my backup image (v5.2.2) and it updated to v7.2.0 with no reboot loop.

So to review. Swap is used to recover from GSOD and apply the software updates. General rule of thumb, 1MB of swap for every 2GB of drive space.

You will get differing opinions regarding the swap. Just telling it like I see it. :)

robomeister

3. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Interesting - so then the 'swap' file is not the same thing as a page file? I was assuming it was. My understanding of a swap file is it's temporary memory for when all available RAM is used.

Not the case?

In your scenario - the 'swap' file is what I would call a temp file (or temp directory).

Maybe my terminology is wrong...who knows, but your rule of thumb of 1mb of 'swap' for every 2g of drive space doesn't exactly fit with either scneario IMO.

Your rule of thumb seems to indicate that the bigger HD you own, the more room the update will take, which makes no sense to me.

Applying my understanding of what a 'swap' file is to your rule of thumb indicates that the more drive space you have, the more 'temp' memory you should have, which again doesn't make sense to me.

Not trying to start a p!ssing match here, I'm just trying to understand the terminology used (I'm a windows guy), and to figure out if I should have increased the swap size for performance reasons.

Thanks!

4. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I think 1MB swap for every 2GB of disk space came out during the S1 days.
    No one took time to investigate for S2 or S3 so I'm not sure if it still holds true.

If that's true then, eSATA drives that Tivo Inc. plans to release will have problems as you can't change the swap size by adding plug & play eSATA drive.

IMO, 128MB would work just fine but that's just my opionion and no proof of any kind as of yet.

If you used older mfstools, there was a bug in that if you choose swap size greater than 127MB, it did not write the linux swap signature correctly so you ended up w/ no swap. You had to run tpip to fix that.

BTW, Mfslive Linux Boot CD contains mfstools that took care of that bug among other bug fixes.

5. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas

Advertisements

So then - what exactly is swap used for? Like a page file, or like a temp file?

6. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    page file.

temp file goes to /var/tmp

7. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    That's what I wanted to know - thanks Spike!