Question about using a Wish List

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SpiritualPoet, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas

Advertisements

I created a wish list to record a movie if it comes up. I had to specify record speed. I chose basic. If the film I want airs on a high definition station in high definition, will the wish list record it? Similarly, If I had set the recording to record in HD, would it have recorded the film if it aired in standard definition? Must I create two wish lists to ensure the film records regardless of means?

TiVo might wish to modify the setting offerings to enable "record at any speed if shown".

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The recording quality you set only applies if the TiVo records it from an analog channel. Digital channels, whether SD or HD, are recorded to disk exactly as sent. The recording quality setting only affect channels that TiVo has to use its onboard mpeg2 encoder to compress (that is, analog channels).

But if you set a wishlist for the HD catagory it'll only record shows whos guide data says they are HD. (It's not foolproof, sometimes guide data's wrong and an SD show will get flagged as HD or and HD show will be missing that flag).

So your first wishlist will grab the movie whether or not it's in HD. (But yes, the user interface could do a better job of making that clear to you)

3. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks, Jonathan.

4. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    This problem has been going on for YEARS. If there are "muliple" versions of a show, the lowest channel gets chosen. Since for 99% of us that's the SD version of a channel - well, there you are :p

If you happen to have an SD and HD version of the channel, turning off the SD version will force Tivo to use the HD. That doesn't work for all since some HD channels, like food networks, show different stuff on their HD channel. A concert I wanted to record recently was on VH1 and Palladia - but only HD on the latter. That there is no way to pick which channels you want a wishlist to cover or a simple flag for "Prefer HD" or both is just galling over six years later before this first boiled up.

Sigh - and people wonder why streaming is going to steamroll everything else...

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

That's an ironic comment, since streaming is likely LOWER quality than the HD station you want, and possibly lower than the SD channels.