Question about transferring to an IPad:

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by gsutkin, Nov 3, 2017.

1. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007

Advertisements

I have intermittent difficulties transferring from my Tivos (I have a Roamio and a Bolt +) to my IPad Air 2 (2015 model):
    • Transfer won’t start – it gets stuck on waiting
    • Transfer finishes, but final show has “watch on IPad” in grey
    • The transferred show will stop playing midway and won’t restart
    • It takes about 10 seconds to pull up the list of My Shows. Even inside the home (on the network)
    Sometimes these difficulties happen; sometimes everything works just fine. In general it happens more often with copyright protected shows (I always check the box to delete the show from the Tivo), but it can also happen with regular network shows.

I don’t think it’s my wifi network – I constantly run speeds of 100mbps download and 20mbpd upload.

Would getting a new IPad help? Any other advice?
    Thanks
    Gary

2. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Is there a better forum to post this?
    Thanks again

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Lots of knowledgeable people in the forum. My guess is that no has any useful advice to give you based on the information provided.

I do not use the Tivo app to transfer shows because I have not had good experiences with it. I prefer to side-load content onto my iDevices.

4. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Side load? Please tell me more

5. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002

Advertisements

Maybe side load is not the right term. This is not for everyone, I do steps 1 & 2 to archive shows anyways.
    1) kmttg to download shows from the TiVo, adcut as necessary
    2) Encode shows in a iDevice friendly format in kmttg
    3) Load shows onto iDevice with iTunes. File->Add folder to library. Once in library, load it onto iDevice.

6. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    thanks - sounds like I should try kmttg

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    1) I strongly strongly suggest you contact Tivo and tell them about your problems...

2) You do NOT NOT NOT NOT have to actually transcode your programs.. at least if they're MPEG 2.. (If they're transport stream mpeg 4, I think you have to convert them to non-transport-stream, but that doesn't mean a re-encode).

You can copy directly to VLC and watch them that way.. I have been doing that for a long time (though lately I have watched directly in VLC on AppleTV instead of an iPad -- essentially the same experience but use a web browser to get them to the appleTV).