Question about transferring and burning.

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by gtrogue, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 10
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I know you can't record a show transferred from one Tivo to the DVD unit but how about a show transferred from the DVD recorder to a regular series 2 unit and then back to the DVD recorder?

I have an upgraded standard series 2 unit and a stock DVD recorder unit and if I could transfer shows back and forth and still be able to record it would keep me from having to upgrade the capacity of the DVD unit also.

It would seem to me that if this isn't possible then the video format isn't the only reason you can't burn transferred shows.

I'd try this myself but I'm currently waiting on my Tivo wireless adapters and I'm impatient. Has anybody tried this before?

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 10
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It's not possible. The reason is that the TiVo doesn't transfer all the "meta-data" about a program when you do a multi-room transfer.

For example, unless the program is in the guide data of the receiving TiVo, transferred shows won't group with other episodes, because the TiVo doesn't transfer the necessary information.

For DVD burning, the multi-room transfer doesn't include the information that states the video is in the DVD compatable format. The DVD-R TiVo uses that information to determine whether to allow you to burn a program to DVD. It doesn't try to analyse the video to see if it would work, it just looks for the info that it was recorded by itself.
    Since that info is lost when you transfer, you won't be able to burn off a show that has been moved from a DVD-R TiVo to a normal TiVo and back. (Or incidentally a show that was moved from on DVD-R TiVo to another).

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 10
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    However using TivoToGo and TivoGoBack you can transfer shows to a PC and back again and then save them to DVD provided you don't change the .tivo file while it's on the PC.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 10
    gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I am currently PC-less, Mac's only. Would this work under Virtual PC?

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 10
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    As long as you're not planning to view the recordings on the mac galleon will work. See the Home Networking Forum for details.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 10
    gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Roger that.
    I've been off in hacked DirecTivo land for the past five years and haven't really paid much attention to the standalone Tivo's goings on since I dumped my 14 hour S1 years ago. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 10
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Have you don't that successfully? I never tried it, but I saw reports that nothing transferred from a PC to a TiVo would burn.

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 10
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Did it once to test the concept back on the very first release with TTG support. Have to admit I haven't tried with later release. At the time the key was to retain the .tivo file as is. if you create an edited .MPG even though the format is identical Tivo won't allow it to be burned.

9. Mar 7, 2007 #9 of 10
    webbglider

webbglider New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    On the subject of burning DVDs - I bought Roxio Media Creator 9 to burn TiVoToGo programs to save them for later viewing and to free up some space on my TiVo but when I tried to burn a show - a 2-hour movie, it took 7 hours to encode and burn!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that????? I read somewhere about turning off the encoder but that option doesn't exist. Also, I downloaded Sonic's trial version of MyDVD for PC and it kept re-booting my PC and never completed a DVD burn - anybody else having this problem?????????

10. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Try this thread and the TivoToGo forum in general. This forum is for Tivo units with built in DVD recorders.